Aravaipa/Turkey Creek Canyon AZ (pic heavy) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Aravaipa/Turkey Creek Canyon AZ (pic heavy)

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
dwayTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Aravaipa/Turkey Creek Canyon AZ (pic heavy)

Went on a run to Aravaipa Canyon/Turkey Creek Canyon/Rug Road a few weeks ago. I've done this trail once before almost exactly two years ago and have been dying to do it again. It's not very difficult, but VERY long and probably the most diversely beautiful terrain I've seen in AZ. Basically you start in Mammoth, AZ north of Tucson and hit the dirt, wind east and south through the canyons, camp about halfway through, and take about 40 miles of dirt roads to Willcox where you finally get back on pavement for the 80 mile drive back to Tucson. I wouldn't run this trail without either the detailed GPS coordinates (I know they can be found online) or someone who knows the trail well. We did the latter and still took a few wrong turns.

This time we had a fairly large group, especially for a trip this long: my TJ (specs in profile), an XJ locked F/R on 35s, an XJ open on 33s, a 4 dr JK Rubicon on 35s, a stock 2 dr JK, stock Frontier on 31s, stock Trooper on 31s, and a SAS'd Trooper on 35s. While all of the stock vehicles made it, all had some bumps and bruises and there were 2 flat tires. Any solid axle Jeep on 31s should be fine with some careful driving. Here we go!

Heading out in Mammoth

We got a late start and didn't hit the trail until almost 11 AM.

Now for lots of scenery pictures....

There is a geocache hidden in this rock outcropping somewhere

Sometimes it's hidden, sometimes....not so much. Someone had already taken the camera to develop, so hopefully we take less than 2 years to do this trail again and get to see some of the pictures

Dropping into the canyons

Lots of steep climbs and descents

The Table Top Mine and Post Office ruins

I forgot where the name come from, but this is the cabin at Parson's Grove

With a few short wrong turns, 8 vehicles, and 2 flat tires, it took us about 8 hours to get to camp

You cross Turkey Creek on your way out

On the way out you hit the abandoned town of Klondyke. Klondyke General Store

And then about 30 miles of high speed dirt roads until you get to Willcox

And that's pretty much it. This is probably my favorite trail in AZ overall, despite the lack of any major obstacles. Any questions, speak up. It was a great weekend.

dwayTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for posting. Love playing cornhole and drinking beer with good friends.
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Location: royal oak michigan (hometown of DR. JACK KEVORKIAN)
Wow! looks like a great ride. Thanks for the pics.
Unread 05-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
123ShawnTW

Interesting ... I once tried to go from the other end ... I got stopped at the Johnson mine ...

I live South of Willcox ... The only Turkey Creek I know of, starts upon the Chiricahua Mtns and runs into the playa down where I live. Is there another?
Unread 05-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
dwayTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123ShawnTW View Post
Interesting ... I once tried to go from the other end ... I got stopped at the Johnson mine ...

I live South of Willcox ... The only Turkey Creek I know of, starts upon the Chiricahua Mtns and runs into the playa down where I live. Is there another?
Hmm...by the playa do you mean the dry lake bed outside of Kansas Settlement? My family has a ranch south of Willcox in Kansas Settlement.

I'm honestly not sure where Turkey Creek originates, but regardless, this trail definitely crosses Turkey Creek and Aravaipa Creek. This area is also known as Rug Road.

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/rec.../rug_road.html

dwayTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
123ShawnTW

Oh, OK, must be a county thing, as it probably is up in Graham County, or is it over in Pima?

Down here in Cochise County we also have a Turkey Creek Rd & Turkey Creek with water in it, well . . . the Eastern part of it, and during monsoon it may run all the way to the dry lake . . .

If you look at the map, down in the lower right corner you will see AZ 181 heading East, just where it turn sharply to the North, Turkey Creek Rd continues East up into the Chirachua's . . . Where you see the US 191 sign just East of "Pearce" is where KS Settlement road hooks up to US 191 on it's Southend.

Unread 05-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks like fun
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.