Allgood_73 - Coal Creek / Wind Rock - 6/10/2011 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Allgood_73 - Coal Creek / Wind Rock - 6/10/2011

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Allgood_73 - Coal Creek / Wind Rock - 6/10/2011

*** The two GoPro vids below are available in 1080P HD which is pretty cool watching them. Click on full screen in the bottom right, then change it to 1080p in the bottom right ***

Trail 15 was an awesome experience... it has everything from a 45 degree rutted entrance to staggered wide rocks in the middle to clustered narrow rocks at the end.

1080P GoPro HD - Trail 15

Trail 38 (I believe it's nicknamed Little Schoolbus) was much longer than trail 15 and, IMO, not as difficult... except in one spot. Near the end, there is a large boulder sitting dead smack in the middle of the trail. You can either try to go around on the high walls and risk body damage if you slide into the rock (or possibly rolling depending on how high on the wall you go).... or you can attempt to go right over the boulder if you are built up enough.

1080P GoPro HD - Trail 38

At the start of trail 38 (immediately after Rattle Rock), there is a medium sized ledge and a small creek bed. I went up this tons of times throughout the weekend, but on this particular time, the rock and my tires were wet and it made it pretty difficult to get up. Afterward, the guy filming noticed that my U-Joint cap fell out (C clip fell out)... so I continued the rest of 38 and went back to the campsite. A nearby buddy had a spare stub shaft and u-joint which got me back on the trails for the rest of the weekend. This was the only damage I got all weekend... and I think it was my fault for not getting the c-clip in all the way on the u-joint the first time.

1080P GoPro HD - Start of Trail 38

The gravel run video is a bit boring, but shows you the main long, winding gravel roads that connects all the trails. The wind mills were pretty awesome up close... it was the first time any of us have seen them in person. All of us had pictured old dutch wind mills beforehand.

1080P GoPro HD - Gravel Run From Wind Mills

The end of trail 3 is awesome.... it's a small / medium rock garden on the hill climb up to it, then several ledges you must get over... then you can either take the easy exit on the right, or the extreme exit on the left. Upon getting to the top, I helped winch back the jeep that had broken his rear drive shaft.

1080P GoPro HD - Trail 3 Ending & Winch Help

She did a great job for only her second time driving the jeep off road. We gotta work on the clutch though

1080P GoPro HD - Trail 3 - Rachel Driving

I believe this was called "Little Mule", but I could be wrong. The right side is where the other guys went up (This is shown partially in the part 1 video below) ... and they said it was pretty easy with a longer wheelbase. The left side was difficult and had more consequences, but could be done with a shorter wheelbase.

1080P GoPro HD - Ledge Climb - Part 2

1080P GoPro HD - Ledge Climb - Part 1

On to the pictures. The cabins at Coal Creek have topped all of the other cabins we have stayed at hands down... as they are clean, had a mini kitchen (fridge / microwave), and a full bathroom with instant hot water. That being said, they're expensive at over $100 a night. I believe next time we are going to stay at a nearby hotel (over by the Wal-Mart area) since you have to travel a few miles to the trail head anyway.

Enough about the cabins, time for some on the trail pics:

Trail 15:

Trail 15 carnage:

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Built Not Bought... pshh... how about, Wheeled Not Garaged.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buyers / Sellers To Avoid: sidetracked
Allgood_73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

We saw a LOT of snakes on and around the trails. So be careful when spotting... especially on Rattle Rock, which is most likely how it's name came about. My buddy was spotting someone and looked down to see a rattle snake right beside him.

Nicely built jeep rubicon with a broken rear drive shaft at the end of trail 3:

Helping winch him backward:

The windmills are a sight to see.... pretty cool sounding too:

Shot of where I had the GoPro attached to for some of the vids:

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Unread 06-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
my73CJ
1973 CJ5 

Nice pic, nice vids and nice rigs to boot, good times
my73CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice pics and vids. I was there back in October and had a great time. I don't remember what trails I did though. It seems like you could spend a whole week there exploring all the different trails.
Unread 06-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
Nice pics and vids. I was there back in October and had a great time. I don't remember what trails I did though. It seems like you could spend a whole week there exploring all the different trails.
Yea, on Sunday someone said that if I liked trail 15 and 38, then I should try out trail 39, but that it was way up there and would pretty much be a day trip in itself. So next time I go, I'm definitely heading there on one of the days.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Unread 06-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just posted the remaining pics. Enjoy

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Unread 06-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a pic of the u-joint and stub shaft I messed up on the first day out there after my c-clip fell out, followed by my u-joint cap falling out:

We completed the trail and made it back to camp, but you can see that even the other cap on the u-joint started cracking:

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Unread 06-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
jakeWI
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for sharing. I hate snakes haha but I wouldnt mind wheeling out there sometime.

Jeep Buildhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hwoods-958674/
jakeWI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.