8 Day San Juan Mountains, CO Expedition - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > 8 Day San Juan Mountains, CO Expedition

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #76
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

UtMike
What dates did you travel, it may be there and i missed it, sorry, if so, I got caught up in the incredible things here. So amazing.

h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #77
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKTrailRunner View Post
I didn't want to leave Ouray.
We go wheeling out there every summer, and it's tougher to pack up and drive back every time we do it.
One day, I'm just going to say "Fugget" and stay there.
Unread 12-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #78
snapsstary
2004 LJ Wrangler 

planning my next trip
snapsstary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #79
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojeep View Post
UtMike
What dates did you travel, it may be there and i missed it, sorry, if so, I got caught up in the incredible things here. So amazing.
We were out there for a week sometime around July 10-20th. Don't remember the exact dates. But Black Bear Pass had just opened 4 days before we got there so there was still lots of snow out there!
4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
UTmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #80
nwiTJdave

incredible journey friend.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #81
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

Where did you get the camping information on where you can setup camp, can you have fires... etc etc
Unread 01-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #82
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpapy View Post
Where did you get the camping information on where you can setup camp, can you have fires... etc etc
There's two campgrounds in Ouray, and one in Telluride:
http://www.coloradodirectory.com/4j11rvpark/
http://www.ouraycolorado.com/amphitheater
http://www.telluridetoday.com/camping.htm

All of the above are cramped and you're camping right ontop of the next site. There's another campground at Alta Lakes about 6 miles south of Telluride on highway 145 and then a couple miles up to Alta Lakes on Alta Lakes Rd. Alta Lakes is very remote and free to camp anywhere out there(11,000ft)

Theres also some more remote campgrounds by Ouray on highway 361 by Thistledown and another one by Sneffels. These two are first come, first serve and there's a deposit box out there to pay. They're not actual campgrounds, but more like campsites in the middle of the mountains.

Other than that, you can camp anywhere on public lands. So if you pick up a good map like this one http://www.alpineer.com/national_geo...c660_p7959.htm

it shows you where the land is public and private so you can make sure to only camp on public lands. Just be sure to read up on leave no trace camping

Hope that helps.
4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #83
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTmike View Post
There's two campgrounds in Ouray, and one in Telluride:
http://www.coloradodirectory.com/4j11rvpark/
http://www.ouraycolorado.com/amphitheater
http://www.telluridetoday.com/camping.htm

All of the above are cramped and you're camping right ontop of the next site. There's another campground at Alta Lakes about 6 miles south of Telluride on highway 145 and then a couple miles up to Alta Lakes on Alta Lakes Rd. Alta Lakes is very remote and free to camp anywhere out there(11,000ft)

Theres also some more remote campgrounds by Ouray on highway 361 by Thistledown and another one by Sneffels. These two are first come, first serve and there's a deposit box out there to pay. They're not actual campgrounds, but more like campsites in the middle of the mountains.

Other than that, you can camp anywhere on public lands. So if you pick up a good map like this one http://www.alpineer.com/national_geo...c660_p7959.htm

it shows you where the land is public and private so you can make sure to only camp on public lands. Just be sure to read up on leave no trace camping

Hope that helps.
Thanks UTmike! awesome info and of course always tread lightly! thanks again for the info time to plan my trip hopefully this summer.
Unread 02-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #84
DustyRoad

Wow! I bet that was a great trip.
What is the story on the house on top of Bridal Veil falls?
DustyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #85
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoad View Post
Wow! I bet that was a great trip.
What is the story on the house on top of Bridal Veil falls?
I'm pretty sure it'w qn old power plant that supplied power to Telluride. I know it's private property now. I don't know if it's still producing power??? It sure as hell is beautiful though. It overlooks Telluride from that cliff.
Unread 02-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #86
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice pics...............I wanna go back again this year but we will see. I Love it up there but now its been 3 years since the last time.
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #87
Mitch91
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm so jealous! But thanks for sharing.
Mitch91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #88
richardjeepguy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

sweet thread. that place looks awsome. got to put it on the to do list.
richardjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #89
BeeDub
2012 JK Wrangler 

Awesome pics! Looks like a lot of fun!
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #90
BAH07
1983 CJ7 

Yes it is an unbelivable place to see. I have 2 friends that live in Ridway.. Just a short drive from there house to get there..

We spend almost 2 weeks up there every year for our archery elk hunt..

UTMike, great pics.. One day hope to have my cj up there.. Last time up Corkscrew Gulch was in my dodge ...

83 CJ-7, 258 I6 4.0 Head , 4.5" RE Lift, 1" body lift, Swaybar Disconnects, PSC Custom Steering & Tie Rod, M.O.R.E H.D Steering Mount & Brace, T177 Tranny, Dana 30- Superior Axles -, AMC 20-Superior Axles- OX Locked, Dana 300 , Nutter bypassed.

ALL IN THE WORKS !!
BAH07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.