1/26/2013 MCE Mike & Jason, Snow Run - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > 1/26/2013 MCE Mike & Jason, Snow Run

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockRubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

1/26/2013 MCE Mike & Jason, Snow Run

My camera is in camera heaven and I haven't made replacing it a priority. The good news is that there isn't 1,000 friggin' pics that take an hour and a half to load in this thread/write up. And the bad news is there isn't 1,000 friggin' pics that take an hour and a half to load in this thread/write up...got to take the bitter with the sweet, eh?

This run was posted on FaceBook by MCE (Modern Clasic Enterprises/Flatty Fenders) Mike and Jason, and on the WAVJC FaceBook site, too. The run was open to anyone. The only rules were front & rear recovery points, and no drinking or druggin' on this family friendly run.

My co-pilot, Jesse. #1 & only son...

There were no individual shots of the rigs on this run taken that I'm aware of. Suffice it to say there were 12 rigs. Some set up to conquer the toughest of trails, and some rigs as close to stock as you can get. So quite a variety of rigs & skill sets.

The temperature was about 29° or so, and snowing lightly most of the day. Some periods of heavy snowfall, but not many. As the temps warmed, the snow composition changed to the heavier, wetter, more difficult to traverse kind of snow. That said, it was still pretty good early in the day.

(Above) Shortly after airing down, talking story and all that goes along with the airing down ritual, we were off and rolling. Some day hikers & snow-shoers were walking down the trail, and stopped to watch as our caravan passed them. I would exchange pleasantries with the live manikins from REI as I passed them. Most were really friendly, in good spirits and seemed to be genuinely supportive of the dozen Jeeps that passed them.

Right after that the caravan came to a halt...there's a surprise, eh? "What's goin' on?" was the chatter on the CB.

Ah, that's what's goin' on. There, laying peacefully across the trail ahead of us was a tree that gave up it's fight with life. It was perhaps 50, maybe 75' long, and it's mid section was our obstacle. Of course we all stopped, and got out to look at the thing like a busload of foreign tourists on holiday!

"Let's just drive over it" was the consensus. MCE Mike started it off, and made it look like it was nothing at all. Of course anyone with some seat time knew that already, but those among us that hadn't risen above noobradoodle status had their doubts. We all gave it a go, some with more finesse' than others. All but one of us made it. I remember noobradoodle status with a ton of fondness. Indeed, I've not risen very far above it myself. Frankly, in some ways I kinda hope I never do...So anyway...

Someone (John A.?) pulled a chainsaw from their cooler than crap, rear tire carrier chain saw mount, and went to work.

"No one left behind" is always an unspoken rule.

From there the Mopar Commercial of a caravan of Jeeps from a Cj8 to jK's made its way to the area beneath an east bound overpass of sorts. A favorite spot to eat a bit, talk story, and/or play around in the deep stuff in the drifts & hillside. Jess & I brought nothing to eat today so we, like Mike & Jason started foolin' about.

See my red Tj there? I'd just watched MCE Mike go up that thing, and made it look easy squeezy, ya know?

"Any tips Mike?" I shouted.
"Yeah, turn hard right at the top" he says.

1st attempt; No sweat I figure. So I put it in low range 2nd (I have a 6spd) and made my first attempt with finesse. No go, didn't quite make to the top. Back down...

2nd attempt. A little more skinny pedal is the ticket I figure, so that's what I do...nope. No go. Back down it again, John...

3td attempt was a carbon copy of the 2nd, as was the 3td & 4th. By the time I had four failures under my belt I figured I better get serious about this.

"Hammer that sucker" I tell myself. Myself listened...I made it up and over, ceppin' I forgot to turn hard right, instead I did a lazy left...and it left me stranded, but no carnage.

MCE Jason did the honors, and set ROM straight...he did it in a matter of minutes. My ex-wives & ex-girlfriends would all love to know how he accomplished setting me straight so quickly. Fact is, they all tried to set me right for years, and never ever got it right. But MCE Jason got it right in mere minutes...But I showed all them ex's, I let them divorce me..."that'll show 'em", I figured.

After that Mike, Jason & I all did some reconnaissance, and scouted out the trail condition up to the point where the trail dumps out up near Alpental. It went well...we all went up and down that silly berm that dumps out on the pavement several times, talked story, laughed and essentially forgot about everyone else back under the overpass. So we got on the CB and made some inquiries. Seems there was a big "Stuck" goin' on back there...

It wasn't long before they all started showing up at the berm. Some were "stick a fork in me I'm done". Others had afternoon plans of one sort of another. As a result, the herd was culled to 6 or 7 or so.

Jeff (Rs4Race) & I were the first ones to head back down the trail. Jeff in front, and I following him. We were headed back to the boulder field where we'd all stopped briefly earlier to play around, to play around some more. Mike and several others weren't far behind.

(Above) One of my "stucks" that day...

Most of us, well, Rs4Race & I got stuck several more times. Mike couldn't get stuck if he wanted to, and I think he wanted to! The guy is just too good at it. MCE Jason & TracTec/Digger5 comes to mind, too, though TracTec wasn't here today.

A great day that ended just before the 5:00 hour. A blown bead was the days only carnage. Everyone sober & in good spirits, no cross words, no attitude & no BS. Perfect comes to mind...

Thanks Mike & Jason for hosting today's run! And hey, my MCE Flatty's did what they do everyday, they took a beating and never once complained. Their Flatty's are an excellent product, and the two of them, alphabetically Jason & Mike, are nothing short of Ambassadors to the Jeepin' Community. Thanks guys. Thanks a lot.

~Rom

FaceBook/RaggedOleMan Link

Last edited by RaggedOleMan; 01-27-2013 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: I need to change the date on the title of this post to 2013, it won'tlet me.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

More pics;

RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
bsutton
1983 CJ7 

great write up and pics!

thanks!!
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I really enjoyed the pics
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

wish i was on the west coast. great trip. will be sure to show my flattys off first trip i take!
BAMFpullin719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Audi4awrangler

Awesome pics thanks!
Audi4awrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool. Your snow day had a bit more snow than mine did.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.