XJ booster in a FSJ for 4.0 intake clearance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > XJ booster in a FSJ for 4.0 intake clearance

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 06-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
jeepin87
1998 ZJ 

XJ booster in a FSJ for 4.0 intake clearance

I searched and searched around for info on this swap and all I found is "I heard you can do this". Well I did it. I had a custom booster made 15 years ago to clear the 4.0 intake when we FI'd the 258. It recently went bad and I was stuck making a decision to buy a late model intake for a couple hundred or maybe use an XJ booster. Yes I know hydro boost is the way to go but I don't want to spend that kind of money yet.

I bought a 98' XJ booster from advanceauto.com using a coupon, I think I paid half of what most places charge. I then got to work taking off the old setup. I laid them side by side and you can clearly see the difference in length, XJ is twice as long and it's a dual diaphragm design.

I found that the rod length on the XJ was way too long once I got the booster bolted up and hooked up to the brake pedal. I had to unscrew the rod and cut about an inch off the back side, file the threads, and screw it back in. Also I used my stock MC and had to clearance the holes because the studs on the XJ booster are farther apart than the stock FSJ.

Make sure you measure the rod length hooked up to the pedal on the stock booster before removing it. If this measurement isn't correct you can put pressure on the brakes all the time...bad.

I have the same clearance to the intake as I did with the custom booster and WAY more stopping power than I used to. It will stop extremely fast and in a shorter distance now. I really don't feel the need to go hydro boost in the future anymore. Oh and I have 33" tires on it too.

http://<div style="width:480px;text-..." /></a></div>

I hope that link works. I've been having trouble uploading photos from my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited 4.5" LA/33"s
1999 WJ 4.0 Limited
2003 Ram 1500 w/built 12v cummins
2004 Ram 2500 Cummins tow rig
jeepin87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.