Work in progress...1983 Wagoneer 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Work in progress...1983 Wagoneer 258

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 06-11-2012, 02:34 AM   #1
algomez
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Work in progress...1983 Wagoneer 258

I've been working on a complete motor rebuild, so at about $1100.00 later this is where it stands.

I am still a total Jeep noob as my dad gave me this Waggy as a gift. But I am learning as I go. My plan is to give it right back to him when I'm done with it (hopefully this year).

The next big thing I need to tackle is the tranny (999). The car would take a while to go into reverse and when it did there was a strange sound. Going forward was fine. Any ideas here? Am I looking into a rebuild?

Anyhow, thank you all for your help and good reading here.

-A

eng1.jpg   eng2.jpg   eng3.jpg  
algomez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Oldgray76

Looks Great! Just so happens I rehabing a 83' 258 myself for my 76' Cherokee. Mine was pretty clean and the guy I got it from said it had about 78k on it.I'm just doing a general teardown and spraybomb so I doubt mine will look as good as yours.
Oldgray76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
algomez
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks! It's sure been quite an educational experience for me. I did a long block rebuild. I hope this thing doesn't smoke.

I have to keep an eye out for a 999 tranny now.

Good luck with your build!
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Oldgray76

I had a motor of our same vintage in my rig at one time, had very very high mileage and no oil pressure to speak of even with a new oil pump I stuck in it. But the dang thing ran great. I have always regretted pulling it, at the time it was the only motor I could lay hands on. The motor I replaced it with didn't last long at all. Once you get shed of of the plastic valve cover I think these are pretty good motors for a mix of street and trail. The lighter crank in these motors is a pretty good deal for a daily driver. I would add that the chevy HEI conversion is awesome on any 258 you put it on. It is very easy to do and if you want more you can run an MSD box in the mix, it replaces the stock module under the rotor. The HEI set up with an MSD box is the best I have seen yet for reliability on a day to day basis. I run an electric fuel pump also. Once you layer over just a little bit of modern tech on these motors they can be as reliable as anything out there today. I just painted mine last night. Grabber Green that my daughter picked out. It is starting to grow on me.
Oldgray76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
algomez
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks for the chevy HEI conversion info. Do you know what year/model chevy will work? Thanks

Tags
258 , engine , transmission , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.