Won't stay running when engine warms up. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-03-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
1986 CJ7 
Won't stay running when engine warms up.

77 Waggy
401 AMC
MSD Ignition Box
Mallory Unilite Dist. & Coil
Edelbrock carb (not sure cfm)
I bought the Jeep a year ago. It ran but pretty week for a long time. All of a sudden it stopped running after the engine warmed up. I realized the orignal owner had removed and bypassed the original ignition box. I put an MSD unit on it and it fired up no problem and ran like a horse. However, I still have the same issue...when it warms up it will die in the middle of driving it and it won't restart. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 Old 04-03-2011, 08:18 PM
1976 J-Series Truck 
Mine's a 76 360 with the MSD, jeep elec dist, quadrajet

In an ideal world, I would run the vacuum choke, but I'm not smart enough to figure out all that extra stuff. I've tried the elec choke, not a fan. Now I just run manual chokes on everything. Pull it in to start, push it in when warmed up.
You can get a manual choke kit from kragen/checkers/shucks for around $10

Beauty is in the eye of the jeepowner.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-05-2011, 03:55 AM
1977 CJ7 
check the ignition coil ballast resistor
it could be corroded and heating up then stop passing electrical current through it

you can buy a mallory electronic part for that dist and remove the ballast resistor all together
post #4 of 5 Old 04-05-2011, 09:33 AM
1976 J-Series Truck 
with the MSD ignition box and coil, you should NOT be running a resistor. (either a resistance wire or a ballast resistor). You should have 12v at the coil.

When I had my prestolite ignition, she would run great, but wouldn't start if she was warm.

Beauty is in the eye of the jeepowner.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 AM
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 
My '87 GW used to do that until I rebuilt the carburetor. I believe the the accelerator pump was at fault, I may be wrong, but it ran great afterwards.

4x4s are what you make of them, or do with them. No guts - No glory ;')

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.