wiring help... - JeepForum.com
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > wiring help...

JD Squared Holiday Sales Event 2015!~~NEW PRODUCT RELEASE~~& ~~Black Friday Sale~~~~NEW PRODUCT RELEASE~~& ~~Black Friday Sale~~

Unread 11-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
wiring help...

good people of the jeep forum im in need of your wisdom. the other day i cleaned up my connections on my starter solenoid and reinstalled it on my 1987 grand wagoner .. and i done all this because is was sticking and thought it would help after reinstalling it wouldn't work so i thought a good whack with a hammer might fix it as it often does with solenoids. but then i noticed a wire getting hot in the loom so i traced it and couldn't determine the problem so i unhooked the battery and when to bed. when i woke up the next day i hoooked the battery back up and the wire was still getting hot . so i traced and disconnected it. well i got the solenoid working and now the thing will run along as the key is held in the start position bun dies at the run position... so off to my buddy's shop i go for a wiring diagram (attached bellow) to find that the wire that was burning was a resistance wire ..so my question is. what is a resistance wire, do i need one, can i just use a piece of copper wire and a resistor from radio shack ,or is my problem else where,could my starter solinoid have something to do with it? i circled the problem area in the attachment i know its hard to read if i need to ill try to get a better picture soon.

File Type: pdf fsj.pdf (631.4 KB, 8 views)
lanepeppers1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
1997 TJ Wrangler 
That wire feeds the ignition coil and ignition module in the run position. During cranking, the wire is bypassed with another wire (see your diagram). When you let off of the key, the bypass goes away so the engine stalls.

The resistance wire is used to drop voltage to the coil and module. Full 12 volts will eventually damage both. During cranking, the voltage on the bypass wire is below 12 (due to the load of cranking) so no damage is done. So yes, you need the resistance wire, but I don't know if RS resistor will get the job done.
Bigger question is why is the wire getting hot now? Are you sure you hooked everything up the correct way?

I start what I finish!
Curly5759 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
well i think it has something to do with the soloinoid itself becuase sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't sometimes you can hit it and it work and it constantly sticks so i need a new one anyway. and i talked to an employee at my buddys diesel shop and he loves amc360 and is familiar with it and he told me to buy a chevy ballast resistor and it will work and you can get rid of the wire itself. and i installed it but cant get the jeep to crank over because of the sgot solenoid...
lanepeppers1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
1976 FSJ Gladiator 

if you change the distributor to an HEI, then you can do away with the resistance wire, that is what I did, you shouldn't need a ballast resister either, plus the spark will be better and the system will be more reliable
biggerhammer10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.