Who has a fully locked rear? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Who has a fully locked rear?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have welded my front D44 and am considering doing the same to my AMC 20. But two things hold me back.

One. I am worried it will eat the crap out of my rear tires during daily driving.

And two. I am wondering how the rear axle shafts would hold up.

I have a Wagoneer with a hot 401. Around 380 HP and 450 FT-LBS.

I am running 31"MT's and 3.31 gears.

Unread 04-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

What kind of trails do you ride? I did a lot of stuff in a 4" lift waggy wit 3.31 gears and 31" tires. Great combo. I started with a ARB in the back and tossed an aussie up front. The few times I had ARB problems (electical/air) the Aussie up front did the job! But that was on 'easier' trails.

Basically it is a cost thing. Welding is free. The tires will wear down faster. A locker will cost more. So ask yourself 'How much driving do I do' and what kind of wheel'n do I do as well as 'will I want to upgrade axles later?'. Don't toss a bunch of money in an AMC if you think you want to do D60/14 bolt. I made that 'mistake'.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle
What kind of trails do you ride? I did a lot of stuff in a 4" lift waggy wit 3.31 gears and 31" tires. Great combo. I started with a ARB in the back and tossed an aussie up front. The few times I had ARB problems (electical/air) the Aussie up front did the job! But that was on 'easier' trails.

Basically it is a cost thing. Welding is free. The tires will wear down faster. A locker will cost more. So ask yourself 'How much driving do I do' and what kind of wheel'n do I do as well as 'will I want to upgrade axles later?'. Don't toss a bunch of money in an AMC if you think you want to do D60/14 bolt. I made that 'mistake'.
I would be hitting some mid level trails in Gilmer TX's Barnwell park.
Occasionally power line roads.
And I will drive it about 40 miles a day round trip to work. Mostly country roads and highways.

Since you put it that way I might weld it, wait until it breaks, then replace it with a GM or D60
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
GoodSteward
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Good luck, either way. Wouldn't want that weld to break on a highway to work, though. I think the detroit lockers can be had for under $600.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-830.htm
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSteward
Good luck, either way. Wouldn't want that weld to break on a highway to work, though. I think the detroit lockers can be had for under $600.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-830.htm
I really don't like BJ's too much. I never had luck with ordering from them.

After 6 weeks of waiting for an Aluminum radiator, a Mallory hei, and other items totaling $1,000 I cancelled it because they couldn't tell me when they would get some of the parts to complete it.

I found an Aussie locker for around $300.
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
GoodSteward
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
I really don't like BJ's too much. I never had luck with ordering from them.

After 6 weeks of waiting for an Aluminum radiator, a Mallory hei, and other items totaling $1,000 I cancelled it because they couldn't tell me when they would get some of the parts. To complete it.

I found an Aussie locker for around $300.
Thanks. I have actually began my first full blown rebuild of an FSJ (how I ended up here), but have had good luck with Detroit in my past 4wd's. That is good to know about BJ's, by the way.
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSteward

Thanks. I have actually began my first full blown rebuild of an FSJ (how I ended up here), but have had good luck with Detroit in my past 4wd's. That is good to know about BJ's, by the way.
Well like he was saying, I'd hate to put a Detroit in the AMC 20 then swap it out. If I can find a D44 from another FSJ to replace it I would consider the Detroit because I could use it in the front too.
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I installed the aussie in my front d44. Since you don't change carriers I didn't have to mess with the gear alignment. I believe it is the same with an amc20. So for a few hundred bucks and some wrenching you might be able to have a locker that would fit your needs but you wouldn't be tossing a lot of money away.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
1983Chief

I put an Aussie mechanical locker in my AMC 20 and it does great, i have a MCX 350 pushing close to 350 hp and never had any problems. I have close to 11,000 miles on it now.
1983Chief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Don't weld the rear you will be putting rear tires on every month get a locker and put it in a bigger axel

if only gas was cheaper
jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

I had a spool in the 9" on my 63 galaxie convertible. Was awful on the street and destroyed tires. Complete misery in parking garages. Installed a Yukon posi works great.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.