Wheel almost feel off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Wheel almost feel off

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Wheel almost feel off

So the other day I had to go about a two hour drive on the highway because my mother was taken to the er. I drove my 79 Cherokee and part of the way down I noticed a kinda weird thunk starting. When I got to the hospital I checked the wheel and I had two or three wheel studs that had sheared off and I was only being held on by two lug nuts that were about ready to fall off. The wheel hub seems a bit loose. What would cause this??? Maybe the spindle nut coming off??? My mother passed away so I have not had time in the last week to tear into it I am hopping to get into it this week. Just need to know where to start looking.

cookingguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

sorry to hear about your mother.
as you start to pull it apart, you'll be looking for corrosion, lack of lubricants, stripped threads, bad bearings, etc. you just keep going until you get all the way to the axle shaft looking for worn splines, bent shaft, etc. hopefully, the problem won't go that deep. good luck to you.
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
CSP

Front or rear axle?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Front
cookingguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.