Wagoneer!@! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Wagoneer!@!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

There are three primary components to the ignition, electronic ignition control box, coil, distributor. The control box sets close to the hood hinge, drivers side, atop the inner fender, its about 3"x5"x1.5". It sounds like that is what you have failing.
Upgrade options are many, hei, tfi, are the most common. TFI uses a control box and can be used with the working duraspark controller and distributor, its a coil, sparkplug wire different cap. TFI can also be used with a multispark controller (MSD). The HEI is the same story. What it gives you is "hotter" spark, better idle, better response, and some say better mileage.
That oil can coil is pretty old technology "50s" maybe

RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
WagenWheels
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Update... Thanks for all the help. Changed ignition coil, distributor, cap, rotor, ignition module. The stalling problem is gone. New problems arise...

1. I now have a knocking sound near #1 or near the fuel pump. I cant really tell what it is, it doesn't go away with speed or time. (could i have broke something while doing the distributor, because it wasnt the smoothest going project, i did it like 4 times to get it all lined up and firing correctly?)

2. I can rev up high and it all goes well in neutral, while driving if i accelerate fast it tries to stall and back fire, if i slowly increase speed with the pedal she does fine.

3. My initial warming up idle is way to high, i back the idle adjustment screw and the throttle will not go far enough to rest on it. I can push it back to where i want it, then it springs back.

4. I have rust everywhere, i will be taking care of that later.
WagenWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

sounds like timing
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #19
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleontks View Post
sounds like timing
X2.
The initial warm up idle you speak of is not the same as idle. The "choke" or high idle adjustment is on the passenger side on the back of the butterfly.
Did you use your old distributor gear? This is VERY important due to the mesh of the gear. That knock your hearing could be the gears stress clocking.
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:19 AM   #20
WagenWheels
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

I did not use my old gears, should i swap it?
WagenWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #21
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagenWheels View Post
I did not use my old gears, should i swap it?
Yes. The gears (cam, distributor) are matched set, like ring&pinion. Pull the distributor and inspect the cam gear with a light, there should be no chipping or hard rubs on it. There is a pin that holds the distributor gear in place, drive out the pin, and swap the gears. Note which side is top on the gear and install the same way

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.