Waggy first timer questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Waggy first timer questions

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 01-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
CutterN55
1986 CJ7 

A well maintained 360 will always treat you right. The lower horsepower torque numbers that you see attached to most of the later model motors has to do with how they are rated as compared to "the Old days". Also they are bogged down with all the smog junk.

If you can de-smog it where you live and get away with it, you'll notice significant improvements in power.

A good intake manifold and a decent carb will also be a big improvement. For even a mildly built 360 I don't think dual pipes are needed. A good flowing single 2 1/2"-3" exhaust gives good flow, enough back pressure and plenty of torque. Some guys are also running throttle bodies instead of a carb and have good results.

A little sprucing up of the ignition system will give you a little better mpg's and a lot better response. There's a lot of options out there on that.

I am running headers as well & for my truck I think that was a waste of money. They sound good, but the AMC exhaust manifolds flow well as is and give a lot less headaches as far as exhaust leaks go.

The TF727 transmissions are solid, but suck for what I want. The ratios aren't deep enough for me. I am doing a NP435 manual transmission swap here soon for better wheelings gears and no torque converter power losses.

Something to think about when buying your truck is the axle ratios as well. The "tow-package" wags will have 3.31's and a traclok limited slip in the rear(most likely) where the non tow-package will have 2.72 and an open rear end...but don't quote me on that. An easy way to tell is there will be a warning sticker in the back of the glove box that says something along the lines of "vehicle is equipped with a locking rear differential". The 3.31 equipped wagons seem to scoot on down the road a little quicker and are better for towing. There is a tag on the diffs that say what the ratios in them are but most of the time they are long gone. If you want to go to bigger tires, gearing is something you should take into account.

There are some great points in the previous posts and the things I put down are things that came to my mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.