Vacuum Layout/EGR Delete Help for Edelbrock 1406 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Vacuum Layout/EGR Delete Help for Edelbrock 1406

Steinjager TJ tube doorsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Gimes
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Vacuum Layout/EGR Delete Help for Edelbrock 1406

Hey guys, I know there are some other threads on this stuff, but I didn't want to hijack them with my own issues. The pictures below are of my 89 GWagoneer with a newly installed Edelbrock Performer 2131 Manifold and 1406 Carb. We were able to get them installed just fine, but we are having a little bit of difficulty figuring out just what exactly needs to remain in place, and what can be removed now with the EGR gone. I labeled the pictures with some arrows and numbers to show the things that we had ideas about but weren't quite sure how to proceed. Any help would be outstanding, as we want to be sure to get it right.

#1: A couple pictures show this line coming from the ball on the upper firewall. It has two lines, one that seemingly goes to the rear of the carb, one to the front. From what I've gathered, it is coming from a vacuum canister that feeds back to the heater doors and the 4x4. If not connected, the heater won't work as well, and the 4x4 will be slow to engage/disengage. My question is where do these lines connect on the new carb/manifold.

#2: The vacuum canister, unless I have that wrong.

#3: This is a component that we identified as something to do with the EGR, at least from the diagrams that we looked at. This is the moment when you get to badger me about not saving the old carb/EGR for reference. I know... I know. In any case, where do these 3 lines need to go coming off the vacuum reservior?

#4: Pretty sure this is where the brake booster will go, please correct me if I'm wrong.

#5: Several sources have indicated that this port gets blocked off. Seems like it could get put to use somehow...?

#6: This is the piece on which I'd really appreciate some help.

#7: We have the PCV set to go here.

If any of you identify that we have something other than the items I have numbered going in the wrong place, please let me know. Again, I really appreciate the help. This forum is a life saver.

engine7.jpg   engine9.jpg   engine10.jpg   engine8.jpg   engine11.jpg  

1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 4" BJs Spring Lift/Rancho Shocks/Moog Tie Rod & Drag Link/Borgeson Steering Shaft, Rancho Stabilizer Shock, Gas Tank Skid Plate, All Brake Lines, Edelbrock Performer 1406 Carburetor, Edlebrock Performer 2131 Manifold. Soon: Mallory Series 85 HEI Distributor, Xtreme Series Differential Covers.
Gimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

#7 pcv yes/ #1 to #6, you only need 1 of the lines feeding the ball. The other were used for egr through a cts switch at the rear heater return line. #4 brake booster yes. #5 timed vacuum port, block it off and use manifold vacuum for distributor. #3 should connect to the air cleaner for edelbrock applications, it is the gas tank vapor resivior, its not critical, but you could smell raw gas vapor if not used. And dear god man upgrade that hideous ignition
"Its a Jeep thing, and I still don't understand"
05 Renegade OME 927, 947, top plate, JBA 4.5s ,ST/MAXX 245/75/16
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Gimes
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Rock, thanks for the quick reply. Just a quick question, when you say that #3 should go to the air cleaner, which of the lines are you talking about? Since there are 3 of them coming off of it. Can I just block off 2 of them and send one to the air cleaner? And if so, should the one going to the air cleaner have the filter in the line, or can I just remove that filter?

Also, sorry for the novice question, but exactly which part of the ignition? I have a Mallory HEI Distributor ready to go in, along with new wires and plugs. Which hideous part of you talking about, because there are plenty that fit the descriptor, ha. Thanks again.
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 4" BJs Spring Lift/Rancho Shocks/Moog Tie Rod & Drag Link/Borgeson Steering Shaft, Rancho Stabilizer Shock, Gas Tank Skid Plate, All Brake Lines, Edelbrock Performer 1406 Carburetor, Edlebrock Performer 2131 Manifold. Soon: Mallory Series 85 HEI Distributor, Xtreme Series Differential Covers.
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Gimes
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I think you're talking about the coil. Good call.
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Man..... I'm trying to remember wich one. Two of them go back along the trans, I belive its the one on left on top, it might even say if you clean the top of the canister. Leave the filter in place if its still passive. Ill have to look at mine in the daylight and get back to ya. Yea HEI will do well. I did TFI with MSD controller and man what a difference
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Gimes
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I read tonight that if you remove the EGR, you should also remove the air injection stuff? What are the thoughts on this?
Unread 02-18-2013, 02:44 AM   #7
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimes View Post
I read tonight that if you remove the EGR, you should also remove the air injection stuff? What are the thoughts on this?
The emissions needs to be complete and tuned correctly, or abandoned IMO. The air pump can go, plug the banjo bolts. A modern high flow cat is a good idea also, but there are many opinions to that subject.
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

http://oljeep.com/gw/vac/89/89-FSJ-HDC_Vacuum.jpg
Unread 02-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
Gimes
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRollin View Post
The emissions needs to be complete and tuned correctly, or abandoned IMO. The air pump can go, plug the banjo bolts. A modern high flow cat is a good idea also, but there are many opinions to that subject.
Rock, if you don't mind, what do you mean by 'banjo bolts?' Also, if I remove the air pump, can all the air lines go as well?

Edit: I should have worded that better. What I mean is that the pump goes to the air control valve, which has 5 different lines coming off of it. Which of these lines can go and which need to stay?
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

popular topic

The bolts that are connecting the air lines to the exhaust manifold. Remove the pump and everything thats connected.
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

ditch all the emissions crap. i can send pictures of mine without any emissions. its a lot cleaner and simpler
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRollin View Post
#7 pcv yes/ #1 to #6, you only need 1 of the lines feeding the ball. The other were used for egr through a cts switch at the rear heater return line. #4 brake booster yes. #5 timed vacuum port, block it off and use manifold vacuum for distributor. #3 should connect to the air cleaner for edelbrock applications, it is the gas tank vapor resivior, its not critical, but you could smell raw gas vapor if not used. And dear god man upgrade that hideous ignition
when u say block off #5 and use manifold vaccuum what do you mean? mine is attached to the distributor
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

not the best quality photo but a lot cleaner and simpler with less stuff
401.aspx.jpg  
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #14
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1080 View Post
when u say block off #5 and use manifold vaccuum what do you mean? mine is attached to the distributor
Sorry I'm off. The one you have marked #5 is the lower port and is manifold vacuum. The higher one to the left of the left idle screw is a timed port meaning it only has vacuum when the throttle is opened. Port #5 is below the butterfly, the other is above. So distributor on #5 is good cap the other.
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

what exactly is the ball that is on the firewall for?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.