Uggggh..Overheating and back fire Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Uggggh..Overheating and back fire Help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
FunnyGirl
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Uggggh..Overheating and back fire Help!

Ok my 89 wagoneer stock v8 360 5.9 is now overheating I previously had carb issues and it took me forever to get her through emissions. So here is the deal I was driving her around and she sputtered a bit like she wasn't getting gas then she overheated I got her home let her cool down and then she wouldn't start . No gas going to the carb so replaced the fuel pump 2nd one in a year . She started after backfiring. There goes the new power valve ?? right , anyways she starts now and runs but after driving a bit 30 minutes or so she starts to overheat again , can NOT take her on the highway or it is right away into the red zone. Now this is what I have done. I did a flush, added water wetter, and put in a new thermostat 160 degree one . I also replaced the radiator cap , and lower hose ( put one with a spring since I heard talk of collapsing hoses) . The fan runs great , yes it has the shroud. Also the water pump seams fine no noise from it. I am at a loss here , I was thinking of having the radiator rodded out but I am not for sure wouldn't there be a cold spot if it was blocked? Is it the carb or is it something else. I live in AZ so it is HOT here and the goal is to make her my daily driver so I am working on her bit by bit but this is going to drive me crazy. Any help would be appreciated. where should I go next???

thanks ,
Maggie

FunnyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

new fan clutch?
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
FunnyGirl
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have not replaced that , wouldn't it be making noise if it was bad ? or not spinning?
Unread 08-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

nope. it'll spin, just not enough to cool the engine. Had a 93 bronco that kept overheating until the guy at Napa suggested a fan clutch
Unread 08-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
FunnyGirl
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

ok so if I am going to replace the fan clutch , should I go with a thermal or non thermal one? normal duty , or heavy duty?
Unread 08-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
suddendeath
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Personally if you're going to replace it, go heavy duty. Thats my two cents. If the normal standard duty one cooled the truck "OK" for 20 years, the heavy duty should cool it "great" for 30.

SOA/SF. 33 MTs, D44 4.10 F/R Locked Rear, Eddie Intake, Holley TA 670, HEI, OBA, 12k Winch, Beefy Bumpers F/R.
suddendeath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
FunnyGirl
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I ordered one from rock auto the four seasons standard duty , NON thermal one . Should be ok I hope , going to do that and rod the rad. Now any tricks or tips on pulling out the radiator??
Unread 08-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

take off the fan

Make sure you bleed the radiator well. Any trapped air in there will make it overheat, too.
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
FunnyGirl
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok here is where I am at right now , I just took the grill off the front of the jeep. OMG .. there is a small radiator for the transmission , a medium size one for the A/C and then behind that one is my ACTUAL RADIATOR for the engine ??? Who made this thing seriously. then there are these wires on the right hand side below the horn but in front of the casing what are those for .. looks like some kind of sensor?? Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 08-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Okay, a fan clutch is not the issue unless you are overheating in traffic, all it does is control how fast the fan spins, but when you are on the highway the fan is essentially doing nothing, you dont need to "pull" air through the radiator, its being pushed through at 65mph.

When was the last time you had a coolant system flush? Ever replaced the thermostat?

And yes, there is an auxiliary transmission cooler (towing package), the condensor for the AC, and then the actual radiator, which has a built in transmission cooler as well. That is 100% normal. Even on modern cars.

Not to sound like you dont check the obvious...but is your rad full of coolant?

Water pump could be another issue. It could be more than just bad bearings that fail (which would make noise), a worn or corroded (result of no flushes + time) impeller can cause poor cooling.

Did you shut it down after it overheated? You could have blown a head gasket, could also have lost part of the seal on the intake gasket... Check your oil for coolant and your coolant for oil...

Sucks in the hot weather, I used to have problems with my truck running hot, but now even in the 115 degree weather it;s mostly fine provided i dont sit still after coming off the highway!

Good luck, and feel free to keep asking, we're here to help.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #11
FunnyGirl
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok done the obvious all-ready , done a flush , done the thermostat put in a 160 , have fresh coolant and water wetter in it now . Also put in new hoses. Still overheating in traffic and on the highway. No noise from the water pump. I have not blown a head gasket no water in the oil . So I am good there. I am thinking since I am going to pull the radiator and have it rodded out , might as well replace the fan clutch and water pump while I am there and have access to it . If that doesn't work I will let you all know. I am hoping to get this done on Tuesday or Wednesday. I will update you all as soon as I freak out again ..lol
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
megajeep
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Dont forget the often overlooked radiator cap. If the system is not pressurized it will not cool properly.

A lean fuel mixture will also cause extra heat.
megajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

my ASE certified friend has one of those cool cooling system pressure testers that tests the system and the cap. That is one tool that is definetly on my list.
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
FunnyGirl
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hey Everyone here is a question again .. once again the heat is here and I am overheating again .. the only thing I haven't done to the jeep is replace the water pump .. I was going to do it but didn't. So no blown seals and no cracked heads .. so the last thing I can think of is the water pump. So my question is if My heater is working my water pump is still good right?? I really don't want to tear the whole thing apart if it is still good ... I for the life of me can't find the weeping hole to see if it is leaking .. so any help here would be great !!! Thanks
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Any surging at hwy speed?
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
carburetor , heat , overheating , radiator , thermostat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.