turn signal brake light wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > turn signal brake light wiring

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 03-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
wrench57

turn signal brake light wiring

I have installed a 1996 Grande Cherokee Larado tilt steer column, brake pedal and brake switch into a 1967 jeepster. I have got the key switch, turn signals, hazzard and wiper washer circuits all working. The problem that I am running into is getting the brake lights to work in conjunction with the turn signals. If anyone has done a swap similar to this could you explain to me how you got the brake light circuit to work. Thank you, Rick

wrench57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
wrench57

Well with no other suggestions I will tell anyone who needs the info that I ended up with a powered taillight converter for dual bulb to trailer connector to get the brakes and turn signals working and be able to maintain the turn switch from the column. I tried the non-powered ones and they would not feed thru unless brakes were applied.
Unread 04-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
sang_route
1973 J-Series Truck 

That must have been a lot of work to do that conversion. You might be the first, any tips or recommendations for any attempting something like that?

88 and 95 XJ, 1973 J4000
sang_route is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
wrench57

sang route, It was quite a bit of work to do it. I ran the bottom thru the original hole in the floor and had to cut and reangle the base plate to get all to line up. On the mounting bracket to the bottom of the dash I ended up removing the factory one from the 96 column because of the angle diff. To start with I was going to install wedge blocks but this left the bracket down in the leg area which was the main reason for doing this part of the rebuild was to gain more leg room. After getting the base lined up and the column held in place I marked where the locator pin from the original bracket went and drilled a hole in the new column This held it all in place and gained 2" additional room from the steering wheel. The wiper switch I had to use 2 relays to get it to work for both low and high. I was going to post a picture here but can't find out how to. There is a complete build thread for this jeepster on Helpwrench.net under automotive builds 67 jeepster that explains in detail how all of this was done as this jeepster was modernized. On the turn signals there are 4 wires coming out of the switch to feed the individual signals but needed some sort of computer to get the turn and brake to work together. The converter that I used was for converting 4 bulb rear lights on a tow vehicle to 2 bulb lights for a trailer. Even tho I only had 2 bulb rear lights the turn switch acted like a 4 bulb system. The converter has to be one that has a power wire to it to activate it. It is a Hoppy Electronic converter and on the labeled vehicle side of the converter it has a power wire, left turn, right turn, brake light, tail light and ground wire. The tail lights were ok with the original hookups so did not change them. On the trailer side there are ground, left and right turn, and tail lights. On the converter vehicle side I hooked the power wire, the turn signal wires to the turn switch and the brake switch activation wire. On the trailer side of the switch I hooked the turn signal wires to the wires going to the rear turn signals. This allowed the brakes and turn signals to work together like they were suppossed to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.