Transmission????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Transmission?????

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 02-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
leebowles
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Transmission?????

OK, I have been working on my 90 wagoneer for a few month, and have it running like a top..

Runs great, but doesnt move..I can hear it changing from park to reverse and reverse to drive, but nothing...When I go to put in back in park, i hear grinding gears...

I've check linkage, its good.

NO broken axles..

I am hoping for a quick, easy and cheap fix...

Tranny color and fliud levels look good...

I really dont want to get new or rebuilt tranny, any help you give would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lee

leebowles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
semikrazy
1976 CJ5 

The transfercase is in neutral.
semikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
gnarlytoes
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by semikrazy View Post
The transfercase is in neutral.
gnarlytoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
leebowles
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

WOW!!! I didnt think of that!! Does it need to stay in 4H? unless mudding?

Thanks

I really know nothing about 4x4's...I know I have some issues with the vaccums. It wont switch from 4 to 2 wheel drive.. Also, there is a 5/8?? hose coming from the top of the front axle, and I'm not sure where it goes..

I really appreciate the help..

Lee
Unread 02-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
semikrazy
1976 CJ5 

If your Jeep is a quadatrac then it is a full time 4x4. and was meant to be driven in 4x4. The lever under the driver seat is for low/neutral/high gears. Use high gear for everday driving. the switch in the glove box is used for locking the front and rear together and only to be used if on slick surface. As for the hose going to the front diff it may be for a vent.
semikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
gnarlytoes
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

The '90 model will have 727 trans and 229 transfer case. It has 2H, 4H, N, 4L. The front differential has a vacuum operated locker. If it is not working, you will only have 2wd, but the truck will still move with power to rear axle. The hose you are talking about is an axle vent and should have a vent plug in the end. It should have a clip on it that attaches to the lower radiator bolt.

Try this... chock the front tires and lift both rear wheels clear of ground and see if you can turn them by hand with the trans in park. You should not be able to turn them with the transmission in park. If you can, then try putting t-case in different range.
gnarlytoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

No vacuum front axle (it's solid because after '86 they became shift on the fly. Easy to spot because they don't have the pin that takes 2 hands to switch from 2wd to 4wd or vice versa), no vacuum operated locker (from the factory) in '90. I agree the tcase is likely bumped into neutral. With the truck not running, pull up the floor lever and see if it goes! (2wd is all the way up or all the way down, depending which tcase)

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
leebowles
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

ok...the transfer case was in neutal. Its still to working ok...I just dropped the pan and replaced the filter, going to put new fluid in tomorrow.

I did jack the rear up, it didnt move in park. Also, I jacked the front and when I turned one wheel, the other turned to opposite way. I am beginning o think that I will be driving on 4x4 always, or until I get the vaccum lines fixed.

Do you have any suggestions of where I may get a vent plug???

fyi, it is select a trac not quad.

You have been very helpful.

Thanks,
Lee
Unread 02-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
leebowles
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I drove it for about 10 miles today..Damn, I was happy guy, my wife couldnt have been less interested...LOL!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.