Tools for Fender & Door Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Tools for Fender & Door Removal

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Atlasts
1977 J-Series Truck 

Tools for Fender & Door Removal

I'm going to finally pickup my Grandpa's 1977 Jeep J10 that he purchased new from our farm.

They also had a 74 Wagoneer that I'm going to remove the front fenders and doors. It is 300 miles away so I'm trying to take all the tools, jacks etc that I'll need to remove them quickly.

What tools should I take? Is this a hard job or do the fenders and doors usually come off without a lot of problems?

Last edited by Atlasts; 06-19-2013 at 01:34 PM..
Atlasts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
CSP

Common hand tools are all that's required. Combination wrenches and sockets for the most part.

Difficulty depends on how corroded the fasteners are.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Atlasts
1977 J-Series Truck 

Thanks. Since the Wagoner will be junked out afterwards, I was thinking a long breaker bar would be good to have for the stubborn bolts. What type of bolt heads would be used on the 74 Wagoneer? The manual that I have for 72-91 wagoneer's illustration shows a torq head but I'm thinking a 74 would have a regular bolt head.
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

My '77 has torx head. Since you are traveling, I would assume torx head as well. Take some PB Blaster or equivalent and a buddy to hold up the doors when you remove that last bolt, they are heavy. Also I would take a good cordless drill and some good sharp drill bits just in case you have to drill off the heads.
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
jeeper54

Have a helper. A door with glass is heavy.
jeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
paulbone
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Depending on how rusty it is, a hammer and cold chisel would be useful. I had to remove the whole front end on my rusty 77 and then seperate the fenders.
This was beacuse there are three bolts at the front behind the grill that hold the fender on to the front panel. These are captive bolts held by a sprung clips. The trouble is, these almost always snap and there is no way to get at them, so the bolts just spin!
I even had this happen on my rust free Nevada 79, luckily I managed to hold the broken clip with a large flat blade screwdriver.

All the other fender bolts are easy to get to 1/2 inch bolts.

Doors are easy 9/16's socket, you will need an extension bar for the bolts on the inside of the hinge though. The door's are heavy, but I have removed and fitted them on my own without too much huffing and puffing.

Good luck.
paulbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
cj10beck

torx for doors, and a electric impact for the fender with a 1/2 inch socket. theres a ton of them.
cj10beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Atlasts
1977 J-Series Truck 

Any idea on the torx size?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.