Time to Get Dirty At Last!! (1990 GW Project) - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 03-03-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
RedHairedOne
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Time to Get Dirty At Last!! (1990 GW Project)

My folks helped me buy this Jeep back in high school...where it was very popular I might add....

I started driving to college (from Tulsa to Stillwater) and this thing was costing too much in fuel cost for me to handle at the time so I parked it. Intending on continuing to drive it...but then it was just on weekends and that turned into not at all...

But I am married now and at a stable job and I want to sell my '09 Subaru Forester and make my Wagoneer my daily driver.

I have it parked at a friends house and this Saturday is finally the perfect combination of available time and available money. It has been parked for 6 years or so since I last drove it.

This is a 1990 Grand Wagoneer that is/was Metallic Dover Gray, it has the original Motorcraft 2150 Carb, and everything is stock to my knowledge. Tires are flat, had gas in tank when parked (as best I remember). Also think I parked it in the summer. Oh, and I have 4 used BFG All-Terrains to put on it so I can get it running.

My initial steps (and, oh, please chime in if you have any advice on this) to resurrect the Jeep are:

1. Weedeat around Jeep to clear grass. (Sad first step I know)
2. Jack up rear end and pull off both wheels.
3. Send Dad/Wife to Robertson Tire with the two rear wheels to have the new(used) tires put on. I will also send the old battery with them and purchase a new interstate battery.
4. While they are gone I am going to drop the fuel tank and clean it.
5. Once the tank is clean and back in place with some fresh fuel I am planning on pulling the spark plugs and adding some Marvel Mystery to the cylinders. Then replace old plugs.
6. Once the tires and battery get back I will put the rear tires on and then jack the front up and send the front wheels of for new(used) tire install.
7. Change Oil.
8. At that point (once I have all four tires with air and have the new battery in) I was then planning on turning the key for one or two seconds to see if the motor turns.

Now this is all assuming I don't open the hood up and find wiring eaten away, or some other major issue.

My bigger picture plan here is to get this thing running so I can drive or tow it to my uncles shop to do some other work.

How am I doing? Thanks in advance for anyone willing to toss me some advice on what they would do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-03-2016, 11:33 AM
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think you have the right idea, but I would check to see if the engine turns by hand first, before going through all the other steps. If it does turn, put the marvel oil in it, leave the plugs out and turn it by hand a rotation or two to distribute the oil. Then I'd disable the ignition system, unhook the fuel pump supply hose and crank it over a few times (plugs out) to let it build oil psi. Then I'd get ready to start it.

my .02

Curly

I start what I finish!
77 Jeep Cherokee S
97 Jeep Wrangler
post #3 of 26 Old 03-07-2016, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
RedHairedOne
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Day One Recap

Curly: Thanks for the tips...I will do so.

Now for the day One recap...

We got a late start as I had to go pick up a new floor jack for the project as I didn't have access to one with enough lifting power. So after a trip to Sears I was off!

Got to the spot where the Jeep has been parked....sad sight. I won't ever leave a car sitting again. Drive it or sell it.

So the main initial objective was to get the thing off of the ground and get the fresh tires on it. The soil was SUPER soft like garden soil so I struggled with the jack getting buried as we as jack stand placement.

Eventually I just had to use a bunch of scrap plywood and a metal plate or two to support the jack and stands.

The flat tires had left deep (6-8") ruts in the ground which I had to cover up before I got the new tires on, otherwise I would end up jacking it down into four perfect tire shaped holes in the ground.

So I got everything jacked up high enough, covered the ruts with plywood and metal plate and finally go the thing up off the ground at last...

So the next thing is to drop the fuel tank, clean, replace. We are due for several days of rain here, so it will be a bit before I get to make more forward progress.

I have tried to attach a few pictures...let's hope it works!

***Forgot to mention....I am looking for a few things....
  • Cordovan Leather Steering Wheel
  • Cordovan Leather Center Arm Rest (mine isn't horrible, but I would love to find a nice spare)

Also I would appreciate advice on rust....because I have some as you can see.
Attached Images

post #4 of 26 Old 03-07-2016, 09:43 PM
AZ_Chip
1981 FSJ Cherokee 

Coolant flush and radiator cleanout. Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Would let the engine pump the bad fuel in the fuel lines into a can as well. Use fuel from a clean source for the first start.

My project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-08-2016, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
RedHairedOne
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Chip View Post
Coolant flush and radiator cleanout. Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Would let the engine pump the bad fuel in the fuel lines into a can as well. Use fuel from a clean source for the first start.
AZ_Chip...I have never flushed a radiator. Would you mind letting me know how you do it? I was reading about it and it seems there are several ways to do it. Acid cleaner, chemical cleaner, just flush with a bunch of water, etc.

Also, my buddy mentioned "...letting the engine pump out the bad fuel in the fuel lines..." Can you do that without having the motor running? Do you just manually turn the crankshaft to power the mechanical fuel pump? So I would just disconnect the line that runs from the fuel pump to the carb and allow that to dump into a bucket?
post #6 of 26 Old 03-08-2016, 09:16 AM
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pumping out the tank by turning the engine by hand is not practical. You wouldn't be able to spin it fast enough to develop a good vacuum, and the pump is driven off the cam so you only get 1/2 movement of the pump for each full turn of the crankshaft.

If you do decide to let the engine pump out the fuel, be sure to use a long enough fuel line to move the fuel away from the engine belts/fan and ignition system.

Personally, I'd drop the tank to drain the fuel. That will allow you to replace the rubber lines and inspect the sender for rust or other problems, as well as check for rust in the tank itself. I recently did this myself and replaced all the rubber lines including the fill and vent hoses while the tank was out.

Curly
RedHairedOne likes this.

I start what I finish!
77 Jeep Cherokee S
97 Jeep Wrangler
post #7 of 26 Old 03-08-2016, 10:37 AM
bobzdar
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Find the lowest rubber fuel line (usually the rubber line where the line goes into the pump) and disconnect it with the rear of the Jeep higher than the front and it should siphon all of the gas out provided the pump etc. was primed and the end of the rubber line is lower than the bottom of the gas tank. Just make sure you have a large enough can to hold what gas you have left.
post #8 of 26 Old 03-08-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
RedHairedOne
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly5759 View Post
Personally, I'd drop the tank to drain the fuel. That will allow you to replace the rubber lines and inspect the sender for rust or other problems, as well as check for rust in the tank itself. I recently did this myself and replaced all the rubber lines including the fill and vent hoses while the tank was out.

Curly
This is what I am going to do. I happened to look up while I was trying to get the new tires on and noticed that my fill and vent lines look AWFUL. So I am going to buy a new set from Team Grand Wagoneer. I think I will also buy two of the fuel tank vents w/ grommet that they sell.

I wonder if I should replace the sending unit while I am in there? Or at least the filter?
post #9 of 26 Old 03-08-2016, 08:15 PM
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHairedOne View Post
I wonder if I should replace the sending unit while I am in there? Or at least the filter?
You might as well, beats having to pull the tank a second time. Tank filter is ~$5 from BJ's, sender about ~$30 IIRC. Be sure the new sender fits before modding anything. I bought the BJs sender, the lock ring didn't fit right so I modified it. That was before I found the O-ring was the wrong size and the sender didn't fit properly. I wound up with an O-ring from Napa and used the float from the new sender since mine was leaky.

Curly

I start what I finish!
77 Jeep Cherokee S
97 Jeep Wrangler
post #10 of 26 Old 03-08-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
RedHairedOne
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I bought new fill & vent lines, new tank vents, and a new sending unit. I went with the improved design sending unit from Team Grand Wagoneer. Supposedly it works better in a few ways. We will see.

I also went ahead and bought an extra fuel filter today. I was planning on changing the fuel filter before initial start and then doing it again sometime shortly thereafter.
post #11 of 26 Old 03-09-2016, 05:40 AM
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yes replace the filter. Check your belts as they may be rotted out.
For your radiator I would start with also getting a new thermostat. Remove lower radiator hose, drain out the radiator
Remove top hose. Replace if necessary. This is how I do it. Grab a garden hose and stick it in your radiator. Let it run until it runs clear, Put your palm on the lower drain hole and build up a little pressure and release. This will loosen up more particles in your radiator. Do that until it runs clean. I use a rag and wrap it around the hose to create a better seal. You will get wet. Put some crappy clothes on.
Next remove the water neck that holds the thermostat in place on top of the engine block. look at how the thermostat sits and take a damn picture of it so you put the new one in at the right orientation.
Kink your hose or have someone shut the water off and put it in the engine block. Turn the water on and let it run until that runs clear. Replace thermostat and water neck.
Remove heater core hoses (that big black box on the firewall on the passenger side)place water hose in the opening where you removed the hose. Turn the water on and flush the heater core as well. Replace hoses (might as well go new).
Once you have replaced all of your hoses etc get some coolant. I use 50/50 as it gets cold here. Keep filing. I'm not sure but it takes quite a bit. I leave the top heater core hose disconnected at the very top as I believe it is the highest possible spot in the system. Once coolant starts coming our of there then tighten that hose.
Now you have to burp it. I turn the car on and flip on the heater. This may take a little bit to get the engine to normal operating temp. Leave the radiator cap off while doing this with a bottle of coolant sitting there. You will see bubbles, keep filling the radiator almost to the top. After 10-15 minutes, they thing will be boiling and it will burp, like mine belched an hit the hood of my car, keep adding coolant until it's filled. I have found that they all burp some but mine really goes crazy. Once I get that one real good one and I top it off I am good to go. Hope that makes sense. Keep an extra gallon of coolant in your car just in case it runs hot later onand maybe all the air wasn't out

91 Grand Wagoneer(Winter vehicle/project)
Prior 08 Wrangler JK Lifted-Miss her
post #12 of 26 Old 03-09-2016, 05:41 AM
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

On your fuel filter make sure the orientation is correct. Upper tube at 12 oclock position. Again Take pics prior to doing any work from multiple angles so you know how it goes back when you are done

post #13 of 26 Old 03-09-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
RedHairedOne
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Post Deleted by user. (I had asked about stock size on thermostat then found it right after I posted)
post #14 of 26 Old 03-09-2016, 12:22 PM
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

195 degrees. Most autoparts stores will carry stant about $10. Get a new gasket

post #15 of 26 Old 03-22-2016, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
RedHairedOne
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, we have had a lot of rain recently that has delayed my work on the Jeep.

Looking better in the coming weeks, so hopefully we will get some real action!!

I have taken this "extra planning time" to order in some additional parts from Team Grand Wagoneer. I got the fill & vent hoses for the fuel tank, got two new fuel tank vents, new sending unit (went with the 'Improved' TGW design).

I still need to pick up some new spark plug wires and a thermostat.

My plan at this point is to get to the Jeep (it is at a very busy friends house) and just get it up on a flatbed and tow it to my uncle's shop. He has had several back surgeries and is out of commission, so the shop is sitting empty basically. So I am going to get the Jeep in there to where I can work on it on my own schedule, night or day, rain or shine.

Still planning on dropping the fuel tank, cleaning (anyone ever done that before?) tank, attach new fill & vent hoses, new vents, and sending unit.

Then I was planning on changing the oil and doing a radiator flush.

While some of the above is going on I am going to pull the plugs, add oil, and crank a few times.

Then once I have fresh coolant, oil, gas, and battery.....I am going to go for the startup!!

Any holes in that plan that anyone sees?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.