TFI versus HEI - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > TFI versus HEI

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP

No sir, I have no problem with you per se. What I have a problem with is a few months ago you stated on the forum that you know little about gas engines. Now that you've read a few threads on various forums you seem to think you're an expert on AMC engines. Some of us have been running these things since before you were born. Just because our information isn't going along with everything you've read on a forum doesn't mean it isn't correct or that it doesn't have any value.

Not everything you read on the internet is true, and some of it may be true in one situation, but not applicable in another. Having the knowledge to know the difference is more valuable than just regurgitating something you read on the web.

As far as ignitions go, the Duraspark distributor has the correct advance curve for the AMC V8 (and is more easily adjustable than HEI), but the HEI ignition module wins hands down over the Duraspark module for longetivity. I'm a fan of the stealth HEI. MSD is good stuff, but bang for the buck really isn't there.
Not trying to start another poop storm, but I'm genuinely curious. Why is it harder to recurve HEI? Is it because of the larger spinning mass?

I'm not butthurt about calling me out for regurgitating.

But I have been a mechanic for 7 years professionally. Most of it has been heavy line diesel like Cummins 5.9 and 6.7's. I learned my skills as a vehicle mechanic in the Air Force.
I do have 5 or 6 gas engine rebuilds under my belt that never came back.

That being said, I don't know gasoline performance like I do diesel performance. Anyone can slap together a stock rebuild. But making performance parts work together is what I am still picking up on. Especially carbureted systems. I'm in my late 20's and am willing to admit I DON'T know it all.

But the Achilles heel of these engines is definitely the weak ignition system and the oiling system as well.

Sure an OEM rebuild would be fine if it was being used for grocery getting and not traveling into jungles and unkept mountain roads that might call for a few high rpm spins to get out of charter bus ruts.

Let's see you drive your 500ft/lbs torque monster to Brazil and back.

I would have sent that to your inbox CSP, but its full.

Sorry again OP.

Unread 05-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
CSP

The vacuum advance is adjustable on the Duraspark with a screwdriver. This allows adjustment of total vacuum advance. On an HEI the only vacuum advance adjustment is the rate of advance, not the amount and it requires a kit to replace the stock vacuum setup. Both are about the same effort for mechanical advance, though all it takes on the Duraspark is different springs. The HEI requires a kit.

Regarding my 401 making it to Brazil and back, I'm sure it would make the trip just fine but that's not what it was built for. Again, application and relevance to that application. I have multiple vehicles for different applications. It's one of the benefits of being in the working world for many years and if I was even slightly interested in going to South America and back you can bet that my vehicle of choice would be built appropriately. That's the whole point of this.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
paulbone
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Again, thanks for all your advice gents.

I think for now I will run the motor with the stock stuff and consider a change to HEI at later date when I have reads more reviews on the Mallory set up.

In the meantime, I am re-assemling the motor and then will tackle all the seals in the transmission and transfer case. Then u-joints, suspension etc etc.
paulbone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
jeepin87
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbone
Again, thanks for all your advice gents.

I think for now I will run the motor with the stock stuff and consider a change to HEI at later date when I have reads more reviews on the Mallory set up.

In the meantime, I am re-assemling the motor and then will tackle all the seals in the transmission and transfer case. Then u-joints, suspension etc etc.
Don't be put off by the ignition debates, I'm sure all would agree that the systems in question are all better than stock. Ignition upgrade is one of the best things you can give these old mules.

As for the oiling issues, they are in the top end like CSP stated. I haven't seen any issues on stock-ish engines, it's only when you start spinning high rpm you need to worry.

I'm trying to think of common failures that you should watch out fit but honestly these things are beasts as long as you keep the oil/fuel clean...and pressurized. You may want to change the timing chain and take a look at the rockers. Some were known to wear out kinda quickly.
1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited 4.5" LA/33"s
1999 WJ 4.0 Limited
2003 Ram 1500 w/built 12v cummins
2004 Ram 2500 Cummins tow rig
jeepin87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #20
paulbone
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks jeepin87, I think i'll go for the Mallory 85.
I'm keeping the engine mosty stock, with just heavier duty parts as I rebuild. I am fanatical about my 3000 mile oil changes and hardly ever bust 3000rpm, so hopefully that should help.
Just changed the timing chain, cam, lifters, rings etc so it will mostly be all new.
Now need to finish it all off and see what kind of tune we get out of her.
paulbone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
jeepin87
1998 ZJ 

Good luck!
1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited 4.5" LA/33"s
1999 WJ 4.0 Limited
2003 Ram 1500 w/built 12v cummins
2004 Ram 2500 Cummins tow rig
jeepin87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.