TBI Conversion - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > TBI Conversion

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #16
Renodemona
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

Got the fuel pump installed and the fuel lines plumbed up. Quick test shows she flows well and was surprisingly quiet. Pulled the mechanical pump and bolted on the block off plate. I test fit the Throttle body and was able to get WOT without having to modify the adapter, which is great! Went to put the EGR block-off on and discovered it is slightly off, so some drilling and grinding will be in order later. Also have to bend some tubing to help route the fuel to the back of the Throttle body...

On the plus side at least I have stuff to do tonight in the garage

img_0965.jpg  
Renodemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #17
CSP

That's not a very good location for the fuel pump. Electric pumps are much better pushers than pullers. You should install it as low as possible relative to the tank and as close to the tank as possible.

I would hope that the instructions for this kit would have addressed that.

I tried to see if they had any info on their kits on a website and they don't even have a website, just a fakebook site. Nice.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #18
Renodemona
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

Moved the fuel pump at the suggestions of many, now mounted back by the transmission on the frame. Will make plumbing the lines to the throttle body easier too.
img_0966.jpg   img_0967.jpg   img_0968.jpg  
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #19
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Be cautious of the fuel lines proximity to the exhaust. You cannot have the fuel line too far away, the more separation the better.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #20
Renodemona
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

I just stuck it up out of the way for now, going to put some brackets on to keep the rubber away from the metal. Also have some heat shielding stuff to go on the exhaust. Probably going to have the fuel line climb the firewall and then arc over into the Throttle body.
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #21
Mack83
1984 J-Series Truck 

One other thing to consider is the hose clamps you are using. Im not to sure they are strong enough to handle the pressure that fuel pump puts out. I cant exactly recall what the fuel pressure is on a stock TBI system. Maybe 32psi? Your performance system may even have more pressure than a stock, also. Besides I wouldn't trust those clamps off roading, especially under the vehicle.
Mack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #22
Renodemona
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

Are you talking about for the mount? That's just for tonight so its not dragging on the ground. Didn't have a long enough bolt to go through the frame so I just zip tied it. The clamps on the line are what came with the pump. I have screw type ones elsewhere in the system.
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #23
Renodemona
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
That's not a very good location for the fuel pump. Electric pumps are much better pushers than pullers. You should install it as low as possible relative to the tank and as close to the tank as possible.

I would hope that the instructions for this kit would have addressed that.

I tried to see if they had any info on their kits on a website and they don't even have a website, just a fakebook site. Nice.
The instructions were basically "install the stuff in this box. Good luck."
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #24
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack83 View Post
I cant exactly recall what the fuel pressure is on a stock TBI system. Maybe 32psi?
TBI is about 15psi. There's no need for EFI rated clamps on a TBI system.
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #25
Renodemona
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

Got the throttle body installed on the mounting plate finally and routed the fuel lines. Tested for WOT and its about 80% open with the foot to the floor so I'll have to make a little plate for the throttle cable attachment. Not a huge deal at the moment. Got the hole 90% drilled for the bung before the drill died. Lame. Guess that serves me right for not charging batteries. Again! doh! Going to start wiring tomorrow if the weather stays nice.
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #26
Gante

Please keep us posted on your progress... I would like to do the same thing on my 91 GW someday.
Gante is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #27
Renodemona
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

Started wiring! Cut a good sized hole in the firewall just under the heater box to feed the cables through. The harness is for a chevy pickup, so it isn't trimmed to match and fit very well. I had to extend the line for the temp sensor. Not a big deal. I think chevy must put the 02 sensor on the passenger side as the connection was pretty short. Fortunately with some adjusting I was also able to make this work since I had already drilled the hole for the sensor in the driver's side manifold. I havet o mount the MAP sensor somewhere on the firewall, probably zip tied to something for now to get it running. Tomorrow my buddy is coming over with the welder to weld the bung in. Once that is complete all I am down to is wiring, of which there is quite a bit to do. Pictures!
img_0970.jpg   img_0971.jpg   img_0972.jpg  
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #28
780406jeeper
2004 WJ 

I really am not trying to come off like a jerk so please read this in some other way. Where you cut in your o2 sensor is not going to work, and now you need another manifold.

First, only cylinder #1 will be read. #3,5, and 7 are all down stream of that. It should have been drilled/cut into the exhaust pipe that mounts to that manifold. If you happen to have un-even distribution, or a week cylinder, that system is reading only one cylinder and really needs to read at least 4.

Second, welding on cast iron is difficult. Welding mild steel (the providied bung) is even more tricky. Welding mild steel to cast iron that is as thin as it is in that section of the manifold is in really really tough. I would bet money that after the first few heat cycles, the manifold is going crack.

If it were me, I wound source another manifold. They can be had new from Crown or used on many different AMC and Jeep forums. I would then weld that bung into the y-pipe.

Again, I am just trying to help and not sound like a jerk.
Kevin
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #29
CSP

x2 on that being a really bad O2 sensor location as well as the fact that cast isn't really something to be welding too.

OP, you really need to stop and find some documentation of other TBI installs. There are directions on Howell's website for their system installs. You could follow these and they would be 95% accurate for your install. Read the second and third "sticky" threads at the top of this forum as well for some basics you're obviously missing: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=75

If you have an idea that you think might work, run it by the people in this forum before you go ruining parts like that manifold. Lots of us have done TBI installs from kits as well as piecing our own systems together.
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #30
Renodemona
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

Awesome.
Well I wanted a new manifold anyway

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.