Suspension lift feedback - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Suspension lift feedback

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Rosental1
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Suspension lift feedback

I'm looking to get feedback and learn from your experience on which is the best lift for both off road and highway use - long distance highway use for my 1991.

4" skyjacker soft ride 4" vs. BJ 4" vs. BDS 4" vs BJ 6" I'm going to replace all parts and bushings in the process so you can consider all new suspension and I had good experience with bilstein shocks so I'll use those unless someone thinks they are wrong for the Waggy

Rosental1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

If you are going for long distance highway use I would lean towards the skyjacker soft ride and stay away from the 6" stuff.

When you say 'offroad use' what are your offroad plans?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Rosental1
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'm looking for an all around performer, no extreme rock crawling or mud bogging, also ill have some help on the traction side in form of lockable diffs and a winch. I'm leaning toward the softer setup, want to make sure that it's not too soft......
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

The 6" rides like a truck, with the arch in the front springs, there is no way around it. It isn't as bad as a lot of lift kits I have ridden in for other vehicles.

Our 4" and BDS 4" ride about the same. BDS has a lifetime warranty on their components, including springs. We can typically offer free shipping on the BDS kits as well - the components like brakelines and shocks would be the only part to pay shipping on. We can also take the shocks out of the BDS kit and swap them out for Bilsteins.

The Skyjacker 4" is nice but it doesn't ride any better than the above lifts.

Our springs made in the USA

BDS springs made in Canada

Skyjacker springs, I am not 100% anymore but I can check on Monday if you want.
BJ's Off-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Rosental1
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

BJ

That's very useful information. My other cars are 2012 jeep grand Cherokee, 2010 Mercedes S550 and a 2011 Maserati gran turismo, out of the 3 the sports car has the harshest ride by far. With the jeep having a great ride and the Benz being perfect. However I'm so used to the harsh ride I don't feel it anymore.

So when you say ride like a truck, do you mean it's too much for long highway trips? It needs to be able to go at 70 mph pluse safely to be usefull
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosental1 View Post
BJ

That's very useful information. My other cars are 2012 jeep grand Cherokee, 2010 Mercedes S550 and a 2011 Maserati gran turismo, out of the 3 the sports car has the harshest ride by far. With the jeep having a great ride and the Benz being perfect. However I'm so used to the harsh ride I don't feel it anymore.

So when you say ride like a truck, do you mean it's too much for long highway trips? It needs to be able to go at 70 mph pluse safely to be usefull
I had a 6-inch lift on mine for years, drove it to Ouray, Colorado (from Seattle area) once and it is survivable and safe, just much stiffer than the 4" lifts.

It rides much like most 4" 73-87 Chevy trucks I have ridden in -- not sure if that helps but maybe?
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Gimes
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

BJ,

I just bought a 4" lift from you several months ago, and the shipping was anything but free. What gives?
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 4" BJs Spring Lift/Rancho Shocks/Moog Tie Rod & Drag Link/Borgeson Steering Shaft, Rancho Stabilizer Shock, Gas Tank Skid Plate, All Brake Lines, Edelbrock Performer 1406 Carburetor, Edlebrock Performer 2131 Manifold. Soon: Mallory Series 85 HEI Distributor, Xtreme Series Differential Covers.
Gimes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Did you get the BDS kit from them?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Gimes
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I got the BJs 4"
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 4" BJs Spring Lift/Rancho Shocks/Moog Tie Rod & Drag Link/Borgeson Steering Shaft, Rancho Stabilizer Shock, Gas Tank Skid Plate, All Brake Lines, Edelbrock Performer 1406 Carburetor, Edlebrock Performer 2131 Manifold. Soon: Mallory Series 85 HEI Distributor, Xtreme Series Differential Covers.
Gimes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimes View Post
BJ,

I just bought a 4" lift from you several months ago, and the shipping was anything but free. What gives?
On the BDS kits we can typically offer free shipping but not always. This only applies to BDS. Thanks!

Tags
build , lift , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.