Stock Radio backlight bulbs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Stock Radio backlight bulbs

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Stock Radio backlight bulbs

Has anyone replaced these before? I took my radio apart today to see what was behind the bezel. I found lots of very tiny bulbs that are corroded away. They have blue covers on each of them. They look easy enough to solder new ones on after removing the circuit board.

Also the LCD for the radio station frequency has 3 tube style bulbs that can be replaced. I would love to replace all of these with LED's if needed if I can't find bulbs.

Below are the pics. You can see one of the tube bulbs just below the LCD and the bottom pic is two bulbs that literally fell off the board and their blue covers removed. I'm guessing I'll have to order these parts online.

usererror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Quick question.. I have a very dim but functional overhead LCD display for the Compass/Temp was curious if that LCD has bulbs that back light it or if the display itself is just non-serviceable junk?
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by super98lsc View Post
Quick question.. I have a very dim but functional overhead LCD display for the Compass/Temp was curious if that LCD has bulbs that back light it or if the display itself is just non-serviceable junk?
I tried to remove mine this weekend but it is one big plastic assembly that I could not remove from the console itself without great difficulty. If it's still working then I would venture that it might have bulbs behind it like the radio.

However today after shopping around for bulbs for the radio, I think I am going to just replace the headunit. Bulbs are too big that I can find for the radio.
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by super98lsc View Post
I tried to remove mine this weekend but it is one big plastic assembly that I could not remove from the console itself without great difficulty. If it's still working then I would venture that it might have bulbs behind it like the radio.

However today after shopping around for bulbs for the radio, I think I am going to just replace the headunit. Bulbs are too big that I can find for the radio.
Unread 09-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have not been able to find new bulbs so I've caved and ordered a new headunit from Crutchfield. I'll be happy to use flash drives for music like I do on my Ford (Sync). This unit also has bluetooth so I can stream and use the phone to use the phone as well! Looking forward to installing it this weekend, if not sooner.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR8...KD-R840BT.html

Now I'm sure I'm going to want new speakers next.
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

I got one of those 'mechless' decks. Does am/fm (but I have no antenna), usb, sd, and 3.5mm aux. No cd player. It's frigging awesome! No more skipping music, or changing cds, or having passengers not like my music, cause they can bring their own! No cds to get stolen. And no one's gonna want my $30 stereo that doesn't even play cds, so they're not gonna steal that either.
Got new speakers and put them in the old speaker boxes, with the old grills, so they are also fairly theft-free, cause no one want dirty jensen 6x9s
Unread 09-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

@Pleontks - Do you happen to have the specific speakers you got? I'd love to do exactly what you did, down the road. I don't want to replace the current Jensen covers in my panels. Thank you!
Unread 09-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

I built my own plates and mounted Polk 5x7 behind the Jensen covers so they appear stock. I have Focal tweeter pods in the corners of the dash that also are color matched to the interior.
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

How come we've all got jensen? Mine are 18 yrs old or so.

I replaced them with Pioneers. I can get the numbers later tonight. I don't see why the covers wouldn't be universal. I put my jensen 6x9s into my xj to replace the blaupunkts, and the blaupunkt grill fit right on the jensen speaker
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Jensen was the factory system back then. Like Bose or infinity, Harmon kardon is now for many upper end cars.
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

I recently replaced my entire system with a new jvc removable face head unit. Bluetooth, BT music streaming, iPod controls on the unit, CD player etc plus infinity speakers. His then behind the front grills. Didn't have the rear grills so unused new infinity ones. Truck sounds great and was able to pick a green color for the screen that closely matches the green on the dash. Nice to have hands free talking in a 22 year old truck
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Im running an alpine with similar features. Sound processor is nice with distance time correction for each driver. Focal tweeters on the dash in pods in the corners, Polk 5x7 mid woofers in the front doors behind the factory grilles and a set of 6.5" Hertz components in the rear. Alpine sub and 2 JL audio class A amps 4 ch and 2ch bridged to the sub.
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

My jensens didn't come on the truck. I got them with an 88 isuzu pickup 12 yrs ago.

Super.....I bet yours sounds waaaaayy better than mine My 2 new 6x9s behind the seat, and 2 different random round (5-6"ish) in my doors. $30 stereo.
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Installed the new unit last night. It was fantastic. Love the 2nd USB connector that I have run from the rear of the unit into the glove box to hide the USB drive. My only tough decision is where to put the mic for the bluetooth phone functionality.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.