Steering column options for Commando - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Rproject
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Steering column options for Commando

As I continue my search for a Commando, I'm interested to know if tilt wheel was an option and/or what steering columns fit a Commando.

Thanks

1996 White ZJ
1987 Maroon YJ (sideways build)
1996 Forest Green XJ

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-08-2013, 06:24 AM
timgr
1975 CJ6 

Just responding because you have not gotten a better response ...

If it's a pre-71, I believe your only option is the factory column with the Ross steering. If you convert to Saginaw steering (just like a CJ), then you can pick either a GM column from a Jeep or GM car, or use a hot rod column from Ididit or Flaming River.

I think the 72-73 bullnose has a GM column similar to the '76 and later CJs, but my memory is not so clear on that. So it could have had the tilt option, but I doubt it. I drove a loaded '72 convertible occasionally back in the day, and I don't remember tilting the wheel.

IMO this should be a very low priority issue ... if there were tilt column Commandos built, you almost certainly won't find enough examples so you can pick and choose between them. When you find a suitable vehicle, you can decide whether it's worthwhile to modify the vehicle and have a tilt column.

1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
post #3 of 4 Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Rproject
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I believe I have found the vehicle, it's a'71 roadster with manual steering, manual choke and straight column. All of which would be upgraded. I believe it has saginaw steering which will make upgrade options easier.

1996 White ZJ
1987 Maroon YJ (sideways build)
1996 Forest Green XJ

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
post #4 of 4 Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 AM
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

Very easy mod. I had a 46 Willys CJ-2A that I had installed Saginaw steering and a tilt column out of a Chevy Vega.

Why me, Why me !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.