starter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > starter

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 04-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
GCX2450
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

starter

OK... weird problem. Normally, when I start my 88 grand wagoneer, the engine will turn over but not fire up initially. This is not uncommon, often it takes several attempts before starting. After realizing it won't crank after the first few rotations I usually turn the key back, wait a few seconds then try again. This is where the weird part comes in. Sometimes the starter will keep cranking even after the key is turned to the off position and removed. Then I sit there in my parking lot looking like the idiot who keeps cranking on the strater even though the engine clearly won't start. This is really embarassing and often causes the engine to start very roughly. Anybody know what's going on and how to cure it?

GCX2450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Jermwillwin
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Is the starter wired correctly or has the wireing been moded to take the ignition direcly off from starting!
Unread 05-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
GCX2450
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have no idea. How would I check that?
GCX2450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2008, 01:09 AM   #4
Jermwillwin
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Chase the wire from the starter. It should go back to a sillinod block on the passanger side fender well. I just got a new one and it cleared up a few starting problems. The best thing is to get a factory manual on ebay. It tells you what every wire is and where it goes. You may also find wire diagrams online but make sure it is for a 84-88, some things changed in 89.
Unread 05-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
17Z

Could be a bad starter relay. Could also be aggravated by a bad battery/low voltage sort of thing.

If the battery is low or bad the low voltage tends to make the starter relay hang up. Contacts inside can weld together temporalily(or permanently!), causing the engine to keep cranking by itself!

I would check my battery and cables out for condition. Also check the grounds. If the relay is indeed hanging up, I would replace the starter relay for sure. Seems as if once the relay has welded it's contacts, they seem prone to sticking again even if a battery problem has been fixed. Relays are cheap.
17Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.