squeaky spedometer cable - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
alyman85
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

squeaky spedometer cable

Usually at lower speeds, around 25-30 mph there is this squeaky chugging noise coming from the intrument panel. I am assuming it is the spedometer, but i'm not completely sure. If so, whats the best way to fix it? Just oil it or what?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Disconnect the speedo cable. Then drive, see if it makes the noise. If so, its the cable. If not, it's the speedo. I've read graphite can be used to lubricate it. I can't imagine that a drop of 3-in-1 would hurt it either though.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-01-2010, 09:46 AM
spirithorse622
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyman85 View Post
Usually at lower speeds, around 25-30 mph there is this squeaky chugging noise coming from the intrument panel. I am assuming it is the spedometer, but i'm not completely sure. If so, whats the best way to fix it? Just oil it or what?
disconnect the speedo cable from the gauge itself and shoot some white lithium grease or cable lubricant down the tube. then reattach the cable and listen again. if the noise stops youre good. if not then the connection switch for cruise may be bad or the speedometer itself has a gear meshing problem

post #4 of 4 Old 04-01-2010, 02:34 PM
AMX
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Check to be sure the speedo cable housing isn't laying melted on the exhaust pipe or kinked some where. If the cable housing looks good as mentioned lube it.
At the Jeep dealership once in a while we would get brand new Jeeps that would do that as well as customers that had that problem. We fixed it by removing the speedo cable core from the cable housing (up at the gauge area) and lube the core with lithium grease as you feed it into the cable housing.

Dennis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.