Spreadbore adapter or replace original intake? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Spreadbore adapter or replace original intake?

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
BugsInMyTeeth

1964 FSJ Wagoneer 

Spreadbore adapter or replace original intake?

I've been tracking down intake leaks for a while now. As it turns out a simple plug reading shows the Carter AFB is running lean on one side. So I decided to go through the carb again and give it another deep cleaning and fresh gaskets. But before I got into it I pulled the spacer off to see what I could see and I found this;

So the PO had tried to adapt the AFB to the 4350 manifold by sandwiching a 4350 fat gasket and an AFB insulator.

But that's it;

carb-
paper gasket-
squarebore spacer/insulator-
4350 fat gasket-
manifold.

In the last pic you can see where they weren't sealing tight along the left side. Which would explain the white spark plugs on cylinders 2,3,5 & 8.

Now, according to this writeup there's only one adapter in the known universe that'll do the job right ($65 @ SummitRacing.com). Roughly the same for the gasket set to replace the original manifold and carb (more work). I kinda like the idea of being able to mash the pedal down and getting a legitimate response from the motor but I've heard some pretty negative references to carb adapters in general. And I need to get this ol girl to pass smog here in AZ.

Dad says to swap in the stocker, but I'm leaning the other way. I'm having a tough time deciding which direction to go with this.

Unread 08-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
lycanthrope

Coupla months ago there was one in the salvage yard that went the other way, 4350 on a square bore manifold. What a mess.
I would normally recommend putting the stock carb back on, but the adapter specific to the 4350 is as rare as Bigfoot. I have a stack of 4350s and a couple of adapters. If it was me, I would put on a 4300 carb. I don't think a smog tech could tell the difference. Do you even have underhood inspections, or just tailpipe sniffers?
I saw a 4300 on a 1970 amc ambassador 360 in the yards last week. Carbs are $40, and 1/2 price day is coming up. I don't know if the 4300s use a spacer, but I do know that they are squarebore. (Most of them).
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
sandman_rides
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Well, I have a spreadbore intake manifold lying around (off the '73 Wagoneer I parted a couple of months ago), if you want to try it out. I'm down in Sierra Vista.
sandman_rides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
sandman_rides
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

And there's a guy up in NW Tucson that has a bunch of parts lying around. I can find his number for you off of Craigslist...
sandman_rides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
lycanthrope

Ok, I didn't read that right. You have a 4350 intake, and would rather not change it. The 4300 would not fit.
If it was me, I would get the trd 2199 and use the afb. If you keep the 4350 intake, you can only use a 4350, or use the adapter. And while the 4350's are easy to find(lots of old ford v8's in the yards), the jeep-specific adapter is very rare. So swap the intake, or get the adapter.
Unread 08-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
BugsInMyTeeth

1964 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman_rides View Post
And there's a guy up in NW Tucson that has a bunch of parts lying around. I can find his number for you off of Craigslist...
Thnx sandman, I think I have already done some business with the guy. Real cool cat by the name of Ray. Been working on AMC stuff forever. He's got all kinds of AMC stuff. That's where I got 'Lucky' the donor truck for the axle swap on Gramps. We were talking about what I wanted to do and he suggested that I just take the whole thing so I can dismantle it whenever I get time and take my time with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycanthrope View Post
If it was me, I would get the trd 2199 and use the afb. So swap the intake, or get the adapter.
Yep, that's what I settled on too. I'm going to try the adapter. I don't see why it wouldn't work. TD-2199 looks like the ticket.
Unread Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #7
BugsInMyTeeth

1964 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well I finally got the adapter installed. It was delivered about a week and a half ago. The stud kit that came with it had a bad stud. A phone call to Summit and they sent me a new stud kit, no questions asked. Summit rocks.

I know how we all love pics but when I saw the bum stud I was so disappointed that I didn't take any. And then by the time I did get em I was so excited that I just totally forgot. Sorry guys. Too bad too. It's kind of a neat lookin thing.

Anyways, it has improved the way it runs a bit but it still idles like poo, hesitates or bogs a hair off idle, and dies if I mash the pedal down from a stop and then quickly pull it back.

I drove it around the block (it's a big block) to get it up to temp and was going to fiddle with the idle mixture a bit and the dang ol thing started running out of gas just as I was pulling into the driveway.... Oh well, I'll get after it proper this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.