Spark Plugs - Rear Suspension - Questions from New Wagoneer Owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Spark Plugs - Rear Suspension - Questions from New Wagoneer Owner

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 10-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
wingnut

Spark Plugs - Rear Suspension - Questions from New Wagoneer Owner

I've had my 88 GW for a couple weeks and finally got to spend some quality time working on it and I have a couple questions:

1 - Working on changing plugs - what is the best way to get to the 2 rear plugs on the passenger side? I haven't gotten there yet but it looks like the heater box is going to make it very difficult to get a ratchet in there.

2 - The rear springs are sagging and I will eventually plan on getting new ones but, in the meantime, has anyone tried these?

http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/gab...-gw-1974-1991/

I know they are somewhat of a stop-gap but would like to put money and effort into other places on the Jeep for now.

Thanks!

Unread 10-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Welcome to the joy of owing one of these things! Can't speak to the plugs, but I've got 4 of those shocks (new in box) taking up space in my garage that you're welcome to. Just cover the cost of shipping, or you can drive to NC to pick up. I think I'm about 1.5 hours south of you. I bought them thinking I'd do the same, stop-gap approach but decided to just plunge in and replace everything instead. Let me know if you're interested.
1987GW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
wingnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987GW View Post
Welcome to the joy of owing one of these things! Can't speak to the plugs, but I've got 4 of those shocks (new in box) taking up space in my garage that you're welcome to. Just cover the cost of shipping, or you can drive to NC to pick up. I think I'm about 1.5 hours south of you. I bought them thinking I'd do the same, stop-gap approach but decided to just plunge in and replace everything instead. Let me know if you're interested.
WOW! That would be awesome! That's not a bad drive at all, any chance I could run down this weekend?
Unread 10-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Sure, I'll PM you...
Unread 10-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

For the rear spark plugs on my 360, I just used a really long extension and a swivel. Worked good for me! Get them started by hand first of course.
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
timgreene1
1986 CJ7 

I find that all of the plugs are difficult. I got up on the radiator to get a better angle. I just installed shocks similar to those in the rear to alleviate sagging. Did the trick. Should buy me some time
timgreene1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
CSP

Another possibility on the plugs to an extension and swivel is most spark plug sockets have an external hex on them that you can attach a box end or open end wrench to.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
cometthedog

If i remember correctly i took the two your talking about out from underneath the wagon. Broke them loose with a ratchet and removed them from above once they were loose enough for my fingers.
cometthedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
lindel
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I do the rear passenger plugs from underneath...plenty of room that way, even on an unlifted Jeep. I take them out and install them from underneath, it's just easier that way.

Can't say I've tried the overload shocks, but you can get stock rear springs from espo...http://www.springsnthings.com/index.htm

I think www.bjsoffroad.com also has either stock springs, add-a-leaf or 2" lift springs.
lindel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #10
wingnut

Installed the springs/shocks this weekend (thanks Rob!). They made a huge difference both in appearance and ride quality.

I was able to get the last 2 plugs from underneath.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Unread 10-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
Installed the springs/shocks this weekend (thanks Rob!). They made a huge difference both in appearance and ride quality.

I was able to get the last 2 plugs from underneath.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Post a pic - curious to see how it looks.
Unread 10-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
wingnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987GW View Post
Post a pic - curious to see how it looks.
Here's a before and after pic, the difference is subtle in the pics but makes more of a difference in person and to ride quality.
20141025_113540.jpg   20141025_165751.jpg  

Last edited by wingnut; 10-28-2014 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Adding Pics
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #13
lindel
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good. And the ride it probably night and day.
lindel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

great improvement...glad they worked out for you.

Tags
coil spring , plugs , shocks , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.