Rust in cooling system of my 1990 GW - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Rust in cooling system of my 1990 GW

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
NayoMoon

Rust in cooling system of my 1990 GW

Scrap it? That's the question...love this Jeep and I want to keep it. What would you do to preserve it until an engine rebuild?

NayoMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

flush the snot out of it, and fill it up with the antifreeze and water
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
NayoMoon

Mechanic says its like a "cancer" In that it's so bad off that he's not sure that there won't be Actual holes holes in the system once he starts pulling it apart. Very dismal on his assessment of the engines integrity. However, I am in love with this car and would like to restore it to its former glory. So you're saying that flushing it would keep the rust at bay?
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Dave145
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

I guess in not so nice terms it will kind of prolong the inevitable for a bit I guess.
Dave145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Is it heating up? Rust is not uncommon in a 23yo vehicle, at all. It needs a thorough flush with a cleaning agent (prestone flush) and a refill. I really don't trust "mechanics" with these trucks. I had rust and sludge in my 90, replaced water pump flush and fill, its fine, antifreeze is still clean. I would be more concerned with the integrity of the mechanic.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRollin View Post
Is it heating up? Rust is not uncommon in a 23yo vehicle, at all. It needs a thorough flush with a cleaning agent (prestone flush) and a refill. I really don't trust "mechanics" with these trucks. I had rust and sludge in my 90, replaced water pump flush and fill, its fine, antifreeze is still clean. I would be more concerned with the integrity of the mechanic.
x2

some of the stop leak products are rust colored, as well.
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Rosental1
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrollin View Post
is it heating up? Rust is not uncommon in a 23yo vehicle, at all. It needs a thorough flush with a cleaning agent (prestone flush) and a refill. I really don't trust "mechanics" with these trucks. I had rust and sludge in my 90, replaced water pump flush and fill, its fine, antifreeze is still clean. I would be more concerned with the integrity of the mechanic.
x3
Rosental1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
NayoMoon

No, I haven't noticed any overheating and I've driven it over 30 miles after initially purchasing it. Mechanic says water pump does need replacing and I will definitely have the system flushed. I'm glad to know that rust is inevitable--because it is old as you mentioned. So if I bought the car for 2K it is a reasonable investment to have these things done, right?
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

They are worth whatever $ and knocked knuckles we are willing to put into them. These are not investments, they are a labor of love (REALLY COOL RETRO KICK A$$ TOUGH AS NAILS LOVE)......SORRY. Yea its probably worth it.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.