Rubbing noise, kinda like a fan catching something - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Rubbing noise, kinda like a fan catching something

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
ivancolesnic
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Rubbing noise, kinda like a fan catching something

So I have a 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer and I've been working on making it more reliable over the last 2 weeks. New radiator, new waterpump, new carb, next is the ignition. There is one problem that I cannot diagnose. The driver side wheel/bearing/brakes make a horrible noise. It sounds like something is rubbing on it when the wheel is spinning. When the car is stationary there is no noise, as I speed up it gets faster and faster and more annoying. I think this is a pretty common problem and I'd hope someone would be able to tell me what it is so I can fix it and not hate my life every time I go for a drive. Hope someone knows what it going on.

Thank for you time guys,
Ivan

ivancolesnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
gcarson64
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

if you have a jack. jack it up so the tire is off the ground. then try to spin the tire with your hands. it should be fairly easy, if not then something is rubbing. i had my brake caliber lock up and it would make bad noises. it is most likely the brake, but there are things like bearings and things that if they are old they might need regreased. but i would check the brakes first. if the brake is the problem then you will need to replace the caliber, make sure you do both front wheels or both back wheels.
gcarson64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
77j20
1977 J-Series Truck 

I would say a stuck caliper, worn out brake pads or your dust cover got bent and is rubbing your rotor.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.