Rob's 79 Cherokee - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Rob's 79 Cherokee

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #76
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Keep us updated. Rob whatcha need off the 78 and scrap the rest. Lots of metal and heavyness to scrap.

MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #77
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

You're living the dream! two kick-arse jeeps, neither of which are drivable at the moment, haha.

Dont feel bad, mine isnt mobile either. That roadtrip knocked something loose in the carb and it's just flooding as soon as it starts running.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #78
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

After pulling plugs, pouring some Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, and spraying down the carb with some cleaner, I let everything sit for a few days to soak.

I also checked all fluids and such. I did a partial oil change, but not a full one.

Today, I hooked up a gas can, and the battery from my 79. After a few tries I got the 78 to start up! It won't idle, but it will run with just a bit of gas.

Now I figure I'll run it for a bit to let it get nice and warm, then do a ful oil & filter change.

After that... Try to sell as a running vehicle, or still part out?

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #79
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
After pulling plugs, pouring some Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, and spraying down the carb with some cleaner, I let everything sit for a few days to soak.

I also checked all fluids and such. I did a partial oil change, but not a full one.

Today, I hooked up a gas can, and the battery from my 79. After a few tries I got the 78 to start up! It won't idle, but it will run with just a bit of gas.

Now I figure I'll run it for a bit to let it get nice and warm, then do a ful oil & filter change.

After that... Try to sell as a running vehicle, or still part out?
Depends. Parting out is lots and lots of work, but you may get more money in the end.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 11-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #80
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I forgot to mention I tinkered with the 78 for a bit til I got it to start and idle with ease.

Then I posted it on CL, and sold it within a week. That was in October.

The guy I sold it to had a 79, and we did a partial trade. I got an extra TH400, roof rack, steering column, lights, misc. parts, plus cash.

Haven't done much else since then...

[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
Unread 01-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #81
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

good find man, hope you do it justice

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #82
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So, my TJ is experiencing a no start situation. Haven't figured out the problem yet, but anyhow...

I decided to hook my gauges back up, and drive the Cherokee around while the TJ's down.

And then OCD took hold of me, and I decided to clean up some more wiring on the Cherokee... Yeah, that's when I discovered some corrosion and cracked insulation on the engine harness. FML right?

So, I pulled the engine harness, removed all the electric tape and split loom tubing, and started inspecting things. Yup, my harness needs replacing, or serious repair work. Found some craptastic wiring from the PO, along with definite heat damage. No clue how my Cherokee was even running, and hasn't had an electrical fire...

I could splice in new wires and terminals for free, but then it wouldn't be color coded, and I'd have to label everything for future reference. OCD won't let me, unless I fail to source a used harness in the next week or so.

On the plus side, I'm getting to drive around my buddy's CJ7 until I get my TJ running again.
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

Unread 01-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #83
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Holy crap batman!
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #84
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

dude, thats about right!

My 73 caught on fire in the garage once.

Out of nowhere when i turned it on my temp guage started to rise, it had never worked before, it rose from C to H in like 15 seconds and then i went around the front and saw a bunch of smoke, haha. Shut it down real fast and found the melted wires.

they went to some long since removed something or other so i just chopped it out.

You wanna come redo my harnesses?

Unread 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #85
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
dude, thats about right!

My 73 caught on fire in the garage once.

Out of nowhere when i turned it on my temp guage started to rise, it had never worked before, it rose from C to H in like 15 seconds and then i went around the front and saw a bunch of smoke, haha. Shut it down real fast and found the melted wires.

they went to some long since removed something or other so i just chopped it out.

You wanna come redo my harnesses?
I told you, if you pull it and mail it to me, I'll redo it right.

I made a list last night of the lengths, sizes, and colors I need. I may go down to Electronic Parts Outlet this weekend and see what it will cost me to get 10 8ft lengths of different color wires off their reels...

Unread 01-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #86
desertgal
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Not sure if I should post in this thread or start a new one. I'm new here & this is my first post. I bought a 79 Chief that hadn't been driven in 6 years & I'm trying to resurrect it. Got it running after a new flywheel, flexplate, starter, fuel pump & not sure what other odds & ends but today it quit sifting right. It's got a 360 with auto trans. It made a noise like something fell off & quit shifting. It's been clunking when you put it in reverse so I'm thinking u-joint, but would that cause the shifting problem? Part way home it did shift into second, but that's it. Don't know if I explained this well enough but if not I'll try to answer questions. This is my daily driver so I really need to figure this out.
Thanks.
desertgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #87
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
Not sure if I should post in this thread or start a new one. I'm new here & this is my first post. I bought a 79 Chief that hadn't been driven in 6 years & I'm trying to resurrect it. Got it running after a new flywheel, flexplate, starter, fuel pump & not sure what other odds & ends but today it quit sifting right. It's got a 360 with auto trans. It made a noise like something fell off & quit shifting. It's been clunking when you put it in reverse so I'm thinking u-joint, but would that cause the shifting problem? Part way home it did shift into second, but that's it. Don't know if I explained this well enough but if not I'll try to answer questions. This is my daily driver so I really need to figure this out.
Thanks.
I'd worry about the trans. Fluid color, smell, level? if it got hot, or dirty, and ran a while... well, a tranny rebuild may be needed. On the plus side, the TH400, is just about the easiest auto trans to rebuild. Of course, that's just what pops up off the top of my head.

Unread 01-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #88
desertgal
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the reply.
My son just changed the fluid & filter over the weekend. I don't think it was hot since it had been parked for about hals an hour & I only drove it about 4 blocks before it started acting up. The boys really don't wan tto tackle rebuilding the trans. but they may have to. I forgot to mention that it sprang a leak back toward the diff. I haven't looked to see where myself, too old to be crawling under cars. It's not leaking enough to puddle, just dripping, still could be the trans. maybe the rear seal.
desertgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #89
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You should really join up at IFSJA.org. The guys over there know their FSJs. I'm far from being an expert, but the trans is my first guess. Luckily, I see working TH400s out of FSJs selling for $100 fairly often. Just remember, it has to be out of a mid to late 70s FSJ. If you don't wan't to take it apart, it needs to have been bolted to the same transfercase, too (I'm assuming you have a Quadratrac). Otherwise, it won't work. Early FSJs And any GMs have different bolt patterns, and the D20 requires a different output shaft (and coupler) from the Quadratrac.

If they changed the fluid, it may also have some air in there? Too much or too little fluid can cause shifting issues, so check the level.

Unread 01-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #90
oneponycar
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the world of Cherokee. I had trouble with the headlight wiring. Looked like the 3 stooges wiring company did it. I cut out everything and started a new.
oneponycar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.