replacing dana 44 seals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > replacing dana 44 seals

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

replacing dana 44 seals

So I have some gear oil running out of my rear drivers side. How difficultis it to change out the inner and putter seals and the bearing. I have access to a shop press. What special tools might I need to complete this repair? I have accessto all kinds of puppets and slide hammer and things like that at the hobby shope on base where I will be doinng the work. Thanks for the help guys.

cookingguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

I didn't put inner seals back in when I did my rear. No problems yet. Only special tool I needed was a press for the bearings. Had the machine shop put new seals and bearings on. If you've got access to the press, it should be pretty cake.

Don't know how to put the inner ones in.
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

how did you install the outter? any tools or just slide it on?
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
pcoplin
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

There are no inner seals on a rear D44. The outer axle bearings are bathed in gear oil from the pumpkin.

cookinguy, here is a good writeup on replacing the seals on the axles. It's for a TJ but it's the same design. You'll need a new bearing and spacer ring because they'll be destroyed when you remove them. Drill and chisel the ring off, then cut the bearing off. You'll need a tall shop press to press them back on. Press them on separately too, you'll likely max out the press trying to do both.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d44/d44-1.htm
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Good right up thanks for the link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.