Replacing alternator belt on a J10 -- tensioner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Replacing alternator belt on a J10 -- tensioner?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 02-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Raketemensch
1984 J-Series Truck 

Replacing alternator belt on a J10 -- tensioner?

I've only done this repair once before, on my 99 TJ.

I've got a plow on this thing, so I'm assuming I'll have to remove the belt that drives the plow hydraulics, as that one's in the way.

Anyone have any info on how to replace this belt? I've ordered a manual, but God knows when it will get here, and my J10 just threw the alternator belt plowing, and we have 5 more inches coming tonight

I've got the new belt here, but am somewhat at a loss for how to replace it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Raketemensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Basically one of the bolts on the alternator will be in a slot, loosen that bolt and the alternator should move a little, you might need to loosen the other bolts too. This will remove the tension and let you get the belt off(yours already broke but you still need to loosen it to get the new belt on). With the new belt on, pry the alternator back to put tension on the belt and tighten the bolt in the slot, then tighten the other bolts again. I'm assuming the hydraulic pump is set up the same way. There shouldn't be more than 1/2" deflection in the belt when you push down on it, if it does push more than that you don't have enough tension on the belt.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.