JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/)
-   -   Removing vacumm and emission system? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/removing-vacumm-emission-system-1692969/)

Gante 10-16-2013 11:20 PM

Removing vacumm and emission system?

I am completely frustrated with all the little issues that I may still need to fix on my 1991 Grand Wagoneer. A lot of the little issues seem to be related to the vacuum and emission system. I was wondering if any members have decided to remove these systems from their truck for simplicity. I live in California therefore the smog check may be an issue.
All the hoses and emission lines make these engines very difficult to troubleshoot.

muddy93 10-17-2013 06:37 AM

I removed almost all that stuff from mine, but I'm not it CA. If I'm not mistaken, you have to have ALL that stuff to pass the visual part of your inspections.

A little note though, you can NOT just remove all that stuff and expect it to run correctly. It was all originally designed to work together. Once the emissions stuff is removed, you basically have to re-tune the engine (carb, vac advance, timing, etc.....) to get it to run good.

On my 87, I removed everything except the vapor canister, and spent a full weekend tuning to get it running how I wanted it to.

super98lsc 10-18-2013 09:07 AM

x2 on what Muddy93 said. And in CA it will NOT pass visual even if the exhaust is actually burning cleaner :rolleyes:

Gante 10-18-2013 02:10 PM

True, I forgot that it has to pass a visual inspection even if it meets all other exhaust criteria

Gante 10-18-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super98lsc
x2 on what Muddy93 said. And in CA it will NOT pass visual even if the exhaust is actually burning cleaner :rolleyes:

Sometimes I wonder why I still live in California!

carnuck 10-22-2013 12:24 AM

I took my stuff out and noted where it all went, then modded things my way and stuck the junk back in for looks. No more E-test for me in Seattle.

Renodemona 10-23-2013 04:45 AM

Something that I had to do to not almost drain the battery to start was work the timing a little and advance it. It is easier to start now, but not "easy." Of course old rotten gas and a dirty dirty carb probably don't help. Keep at it. I found it extremely relaxing to replace vacuum and fuel hoses, plus now I know they are all good and new. I don't know a lot about CA DMV, but I think you can get an emissions waiver if you drive under a few thousand miles a year and the vehicle is 'restored.' But that might be not the case, I don't remember. NV emissions are way different, and mine was old enough to qualify for a waiver anyway. Good luck!

Gante 10-25-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renodemona
Something that I had to do to not almost drain the battery to start was work the timing a little and advance it. It is easier to start now, but not "easy." Of course old rotten gas and a dirty dirty carb probably don't help. Keep at it. I found it extremely relaxing to replace vacuum and fuel hoses, plus now I know they are all good and new. I don't know a lot about CA DMV, but I think you can get an emissions waiver if you drive under a few thousand miles a year and the vehicle is 'restored.' But that might be not the case, I don't remember. NV emissions are way different, and mine was old enough to qualify for a waiver anyway. Good luck!

Thank you, yes someone had advice to look into the timing which I still have to do. As for the carb, it is freshly rebuilt therefore I would not expect it to be very dirty. I will look into starting to replace some lines.

The time now is 07:57 AM.