Removing and replacing magnetic pick up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Removing and replacing magnetic pick up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep seats at Jeephut.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #1
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Removing and replacing magnetic pick up

What's the easiest way to remove the reluctor in the distributor as I have to replace the magnetic pick up
Thanks
Caesar

Unread 02-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
RockRollin
Web Wheeler

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ht=distributor
good tear down explained.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Rock So I followed directions on removing the reluctor. I marked the reluctor and the shaft with a sharpie. Removed the clip and the circlip holding the assembly down. Gently removed the reluctor but felt the distributor shaft rise up maybe less than a half inch. I put everything back together but something is definitely not right. It's really rough idling. Could I have knocked the timing out of whack that easily? Any ideas. Car will not go down the street now
Unread 02-25-2015, 09:59 PM   #4
RockRollin
Web Wheeler

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Did you do it while still stabbed in the motor? You definitely want to reset the timing anytime you monkey with the distributor. I think I'd find tdc and restab the distributor, it may be a good idea to go over your repair on the bench.
Unread 02-25-2015, 10:01 PM   #5
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

I did. I have never set the timing on a car. Feel so stupid sometimes when it comes to this. I fix what looks to be bad (wires were frayed on the magnetic pick up) and now it runs even worse.
Unread 02-26-2015, 03:29 AM   #6
RockRollin
Web Wheeler

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thats a tough on car repair (far more tedious than setting timing), if you can pull that off your selling yourself short. There was a thread recently on how to find TDC, but your probably not far off. Zero you're timing mark on the harmonic balancer, lin up #1 cylinder distributor lead to the rotor. You can do a "loaner tool" timing light from Orileys or Autozone to fine tune the timing, or you can get a vacuum gauge and set it that way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.