Removing rear domelight to remove header - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Removing rear domelight to remove header

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Removing rear domelight to remove header

I am in the process of removing my header board but cant seem to remove the back dome light. It looks like it is attached directly into the roof with two metal rods and washers on those rods holding it up. Hope that make sense. Does anyone have directions. Any help would be appreciated.

mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Take the washers out, use a needle nose pliers they lock it up, or use a flat tip screwdriver.
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Saul32
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Mpatch, post pics if u can.
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I am trying to post pictures but keeping coming back with a failed website. I am not sure what you are say 79chiefs. The plastic casing is held up with the washers on the two rods, one on each side. I can take pliers and rip the washers off and then take the plastic housing down. then the header should come out but I dont want to do more damage then nessacry if there is a better way. Plus then I assume the washers arent any good and I will need to purchase new ones? Thanks,
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

You are correct on how it comes down, try to wiggle them off with the pliers.
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok got the back header out - sides slightly damaged and warped bowing through out - any suggestions. Try to fix or hope BJ's or grandwagoneer produces one soon? Second how do I remove the center plastic strip. It seems to be first attached within a plastic rubber sleeve then that part is attached to center beam on roof with plastic connects. Do I remove the whole thing - plastic connects or do I just remove the plastic from the rigged connection? And will it go back to gether as tight as it is now?

Thanks,

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.