Removed Altitude compensator . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Removed Altitude compensator .

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
WilliamMc
1986 CJ7 

Removed Altitude compensator .

Just thought I would post this. But I rebuilt my motorcraft 2150 last weekend on my 1979 j-10 360. It had the Altitude compensator, it was running smooth but was not very responsive and it felt weak, plus I just bought it and the carb was dirty. Well I did not like that "growth" on my carb to begain with, I would have looked around for another, but someday I plan on at least a new 500 Holley, maybe more, but for now a rebuild at the least. So I tore it apart and it looked like to me that one, (only one), of the two ports that the compensator feeds air into was very discolored and looked like it was leaking air. I live on the Gulf coast, so the Altitude compensator is not a concern to me very much. So I looked around and found that 3/8 pipe plugs would screw into the ports with a pretty good bite. The ports also look to taiper in twords the venture so there was no chance of the plug somehow going all the way thru. So I put some good permatex on the plugs and screwed them in untill the plugs were almost flush, and were feeling very tight. They were nowhere close to pertruding into the venture. I took the little compensator choke flap and rod off, rebuilt the rest of the carb, which I found a blown power valve and a very sick accelerator diaphram. Now The carb looks much better and runs much better. Much more response. Of course since I found other problems I cannot say how much of the increase was due to this removal. Im sure if its working and you live on the coast at low sea level you would not feel no improvement. If it was leaking than I was probably running lean and that would have contributed to the low power feel. But the carb for sure looks better.

WilliamMc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

The power valve was likely the power problem. Vacuum likes crack and not hooked up right will do that too. Did you advance the timing? That will perk it up a lot too.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
WilliamMc
1986 CJ7 

I know the carb had problems and thats where I was getting most of my power loss problems. I can fell an engine with a power valve problem the minute I drive it. But I could tell the compansator was leaking air into the venture. The seal in the piston assembly did not look good even. This would cause additional (at sea level) uneeded air leaning out my mixiture and causing a softer power band. Itss gone now and good ridence. Im running this motorcraft only untill after the new year when I will put a 500 Holley.My intial timing is at 10 degrees, my centrifical advance system on my current dist. does not feel the best, but and I soon will be putting a quality HEI on it, like today, i already have it and the wires on the desk by my laptop here, I then will be doing more tunning on my total advance curve. But its running much better now and soon will be much better even. Thanks
WilliamMc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.