rear window down- please HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > rear window down- please HELP!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 07-16-2002, 11:31 AM   #1
jones1

rear window down- please HELP!

hello all.
typical, isn't it? my first post is an urgent plea for assistance.

the question: rear window will not rise. how can I get it 'up' so I can get to the switch & relay to test them?

the background: until it failed, the rear glass would operate up/down from the switch on the dash (although sometimes I'd have to get out and slam the t-gate first). the key switch at the rear would only lower the window. now it's down and I can hear the motor click when I work the key switch to lower but not to raise. tested the safety switch - OK.

please --- Ideas??

thanks in advance.
J

Unread 07-16-2002, 02:04 PM   #2
TJx2

It's a pain, but you can remove the tailgate cover and the tailgate "hatch" and run it up by hand. But you will need another person to run the switch at the same time. You will be fighting the motor the entire way. It's really hard to do.

You said the safety switch tested OK? Have you tried removing it and bypassing it? When my window was stuck down, the safety switch seemed okay, but once i bypassed it altoghter, the window started working again.
TJx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2002, 02:23 PM   #3
jones1

thanks TJx2,
I tested the safety switch with an OHM meter. I'll try a bypass.
thinking I'll need to test the feed wire too. and perhaps manually reverse polarity to run the window up.
what a PITA
J
Unread 07-16-2002, 02:36 PM   #4
TJx2

Quote:
Originally posted by jones
thanks TJx2,
I tested the safety switch with an OHM meter. I'll try a bypass.
thinking I'll need to test the feed wire too. and perhaps manually reverse polarity to run the window up.
what a PITA
J

You have no idea... I had to replace arm-clips at the same time.. GRRRR!!!!

If you still strike out, try the tech library at www.ifsja.org if you haven't already. Lots of good info there. That place has been a godsend when working on my FSJ.
TJx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2002, 01:46 AM   #5
jones1

I finally got the glass out. thanks for the link to the tech library at www.ifsja.org.

I got the gate apart and removed the regulator arm clips (not looking forward to re-assembly) and pulled the glass right out. I found a broker defrost wire - will solder back on. the regulator was in such a position that I couldn't get to all the bolts. so I had to remove the motor first and "risk injury" according to the haynes book. truth is, the spring pressure on the regulator arms isn't as much as they make it seem.

Anyway, I checked wires, breakers, and switches. the only thing that works is down with the rear switch. reversed the polarity to check that the motor would run in reverse and it did.

continued...

Last edited by jones1; 07-18-2002 at 10:25 AM..
jones1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2002, 01:47 AM   #6
jones1

comments continued-

My guess is a bad rear switch - ordered from jeep $53. seem like I read somewhere today that if the rear switch fails, then nothing works. so I guess the rear switch is 1/2 failed.

what's weird is that for the past 5 years the rear switch has only worked to run the window down and the front/dash switch has always worked. although sometimes I'd have to re-shut (slam) the tailgate to get the dash switch to work.

any comments on my guess will be appreciated.
j

Last edited by jones1; 07-18-2002 at 10:26 AM..
jones1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2002, 03:59 PM   #7
jones1

UPDATE

problem resolved!!

replacing the switch fixed it all. woo hoo!!
the dealer sold me 2 new regulator clips with the switch ($3.50 each).
I should have replaced the track & w/stripping but it's not available from the dealer anymore and by the time the auto glass shop got back to me to say they could get it - it was back together.

anyway - it works from the front and the back.
Unread 08-14-2002, 03:45 PM   #8
t bailey

rear window will not come down

I have a 78 Wagoneer under resoration, only 76000 miles but not started since 92. Got it running but cannot get rear window down, how can I do it? Thanks
t bailey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Anyone have any tips on how to remove the rear window switch that is in Post #6? Mine is not screwed to the window mechanism anymore and it appears no wires are connected to it either. I'd like to take it out for now so its not banging around.

I have no idea what the previous owners did but that switch is doing nothing and the rear wiper motor circuitry is destroyed! I assume at one point the window must have taken out the wiper motor when the window was not working correctly.
usererror is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.