Re-sealed steering box? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Re-sealed steering box?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
SIUADOG
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Re-sealed steering box?

Mine is pouring fluid from the input shaft, and I have carefully ruled out leaking PS hoses. So, has anyone ever re-built or re-sealed a steering box? The steering on my wagon steering box seems to have minimal slop and wander (fairly low mileage, and not off-roaded)
A new box from Advance will set you back about $125 after the core trade, but I also found a rebuild/ re-seal kit for less than $40, which seems like a pretty good savings over a complete replacement.

What problems or issues has anyone encountered with either option? Can I expect to re-seal the shaft and keep on going or is a complete replacement the best option?

Thanks!

SIUADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've rebuild several. They are actually incredibly easy. Only one continued to leak, but I'm convinced I was sold the wrong kit with a different output seal. You just need to make sure you inspect the sealing surfaces and the sector shaft gears and worm gear for pitting. If these are present I'd get a new box.

Make sure you replace the sector shaft bearing also, this should tighten the box up considerably if the gears inside are in good shape. Google "saginaw steering box rebuild" for writeups.

You should also be able to get cheaper than $40 on Rockauto.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
TUDrewser
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

For what it's worth, I was able to pick up a 2000 Chevy S10 steering box at a local parts yard for $45. Was already pulled and cleaned, and had like a 60 day warranty or something crazy (which at least covers it having bad seals right off). Bolts right up as a stock replacement on my 90 GW (and pretty much any within 8-10 years older too). Car-part.com found it for me.

Bonus is it is supposed to offer a more progressive steering feel...tighter in small turns, loosens up the more you turn. If you wheel a lot, it may be a tad more tiring (off roaders seem to like loose steering) but I like the better feel on the highway.

Just an alternative, since it's the same price as seals.
TUDrewser is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.