Quadratrack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Quadratrack

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #1
00xj54
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quadratrack

How is the 4WD system. It sounds good to me but I heard they're not.

[B]|15" Canyon Crawlers | 30x9.5 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos | [Lifted (2" Teraflex Spacers | 2.5" RE AAL | Edlebrocks IAS)| K&N Homebrew Intake | Flow Master 70 |Clear Corners/Side Markers| Class III Hidden Hitch | C4x4 Fronts Tow Hooks | JKS Discos | Surco Safari Rack | Hella 500s |
00xj54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
J4GRAND

If you are talking about the original Borg-Warner 1305/1339 Quadratrac found in 73-79 Jeeps, it is a good system for what it was designed for. Roger Mears ran a J10 rally truck in the late 70s in the Baja races behind a 500hp 360 so they can take a lot of power. I have one in my 73 J4000 and it has never let me down and is the best 4wd for snow in my opinion.

The QTs got a bad rap since they do need to be operated and maintained properly and a lot of owners didn't do this. The case takes a special fluid which is basically a 30W motor oil with a limited slip additive for the "clutch cones" inside the case to do their job which is to send torque to the front or rear axle depending on which one is slipping. Another feature is the emergency drive which is a vacuum shifter to lock the front and rear driveshafts together bypassing the cones and putting equal power front and rear. This cannot be used on hard surfaces or where there is a lot of traction. I have had maybe 5 or 6 opportunities where I had to use the e-drive and I've owned my truck for over 10 years. People think they can just lock it in e-drive and go and end up breaking components. The drive chain is another source of problems. It needs to be checked periodically to see if it has stretched. I do this once a year along with a fluid change and the first chain in my truck went almost 100k miles. When the chain stretches, it will skip on the drive sprockets inside the case damaging them and eventually the chain may break which tends to grenade the case.

New parts for the QTs are getting tougher to find as time goes on but enough of these were made that there are lots of donors out there. If you are looking at a vehicle with a QT, don't base your decision just based on that fact. If the rest of the vehicle is a rat trap, then the QT is probably toast. But if it is a well-maintained vehicle then chances are the QT is in good shape.
78 Cherokee Chief- Hunting Property Rig
05 Grand Cherokee- 3.7 V6 5 speed auto
J4GRAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #3
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Outstanding and very clear explanation of the Quadratrac case!
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 12:40 AM   #4
GIJoe Driver
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris68
Outstanding and very clear explanation of the Quadratrac case!
x2
GIJoe Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

I don't hate the Quadratrash but if your chain stretches enough to start skipping, you can get stuck. (mine skips, but so far I've been lucky. I have 18" of fore and aft play in park due to chain slop)
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.