quadratrac transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > quadratrac transfer case

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 01-10-2004, 01:09 AM   #1
bones_18l

quadratrac transfer case

I went on a road trip recently to pick up a car out of state. My '82 wagoneer was towing 5600 lbs. of trailer/car. Evidently, the north west had the worst snow storms in recent memory. At one point, I shifted the transfer case into 4 LOW to crawl up a hill for some food, but the restraunt was closed due to employees unable to get there. When back on the road, i accidentally shifted into 4 HI LOCK and proceeded to drive almost 300 miles until i blew front driveline u-joints. Shifting back to 4 HI, I made it the 500 miles left with less noise, but the tranfer case was undamaged.

The transfer case was rebuilt about 50,000 miles ago and here's my point

The original transfer case always had this clunk when shifting as did the one in my '78 (which had the 4 barrel carb. too bad they eliminated that option) The '82 has a way tighter steering radius which i really prefer. From people i talk to, this clunking seems to be the norm with this vehicle, and problems occur prematurely i've heard.

One day, a man knocked on the door, and asked specifically about the clunking. I told him yes it was a problem and seemed normal, even the dealer said "don't worry about it". well after the transfer case failed on the '82, "don't worry about it" seemed pretty lame.

The man then said he had been an engineer for AMC and knew this to be common in most f these vehicles. He told me to go up to a big parking lot, turn the wheel as far as possible and circle about 20 times, then reverse the direction and circle about 20 times on that direction.

Evidently, it had something to do with lubrication, and sure enough, the noises went away in both the '78 and the '82.

I used to have a '65 with the 327 vigilante. I could light up the tires in that tank, and never had a problem except the auto tranny to tranfer case adaptor cracked once. Had a factory ramsey PTO winch, extended bumper, wish i never sold that one.

LATER

bones_18l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2004, 06:50 AM   #2
Rustpile

bones,

Interesting. So this AMC engineer said it was a design problem associated with lubrication? My 79 has had a "clunk" since owning, and I just assumed it was one of those Jeep quirks--like tappity valves under hard acceleration. I will try the circle test and see what results can be achieved.
Rustpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2004, 01:39 AM   #3
86lerado

Yes you can also do figure 8"s too the lube is not getting all the way into the cluch pack in it.common problem.
P=pocket
86 CJ-7 Laredo 4"lift 37"SSR's 30frt/44rear,3.31gears,258,auto/300t-case,caged,custom bumpers.
Wifes 92 YJ 2.5"springs,2"body,35"MTR's30f/35r,4.88gears,airlock front, locrite rear,4.0/5spd.,caged ,custom bumpers,6000'warn.
86lerado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2004, 06:48 PM   #4
bones_18l

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86lerado
Yes you can also do figure 8"s too the lube is not getting all the way into the cluch pack in it.common problem.

so it's the clutch pack eh? i couldn't remember it was like 8 years ago. all i know is it worked.

can you answer this one...

if i take out my front drive line '82 wagoneer NP-219 TC\

and kick in the 4 hi lock so it moves, will it mess up the viscous coupler?
Unread 01-15-2004, 01:38 AM   #5
86lerado

I'll ask friend he works for jeep.get back to ya on that.
P=pocket
86 CJ-7 Laredo 4"lift 37"SSR's 30frt/44rear,3.31gears,258,auto/300t-case,caged,custom bumpers.
Wifes 92 YJ 2.5"springs,2"body,35"MTR's30f/35r,4.88gears,airlock front, locrite rear,4.0/5spd.,caged ,custom bumpers,6000'warn.
86lerado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2004, 09:50 AM   #6
J4GRAND

Remember that the NP219 "quadratrac" in your 82 and the Borg-Warner 1339 Quadratrac you had in your 78 are 2 completely different animals. The only thing they share are the name.

The figure 8 manuever is to alleviate a problem known as "stick-slip" which occurs when the vehicle is driven normally for a period of time and the QT never has to "differentiate" or send power to the front wheels. After time, the special QT fluid present in the older BW QTs doesn't get into the clutch cones and they stick. The figure 8s gets the fluid back into the cones. On your 219, the viscous coupler is a sealed unit and I don't see where doing 8s would help- maybe just to move more fluid in there and loosen things up.

As for clunking, it could be a few different problems. Bad u-joints, too high an idle speed, a stretched transfer case chain, or sloppiness in the rear differential could all cause a clunk.
78 Cherokee Chief- Hunting Property Rig
05 Grand Cherokee- 3.7 V6 5 speed auto
J4GRAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2004, 05:17 AM   #7
bones_18l

viscous coupler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86lerado
I'll ask friend he works for jeep.get back to ya on that.
the reason i ask is because i read this about the np-229 and np-228 TC's

>> The 228 t-case was (seemingly) only available on the 1986 Grand
>> Wagoneer. It is the exact same as the 229, except there is no expensive
>> viscous coupler (aka fluid coupler) to burn out if the vehicle is towed
>> incorrectly or run in 4wd only on one driveshaft. It is often thought to
>> be less desirable than a 229 because it DOESN'T have the VC. In theory,
>> just by lifting one wheel, the truck wouldn't move. However, there are
>> no actual real world reports of this, and if you're in such terrain,
>> you'd be in 4 low range, anyway, where the front and rear axles are
>> locked together.

so I wonder about the NP-219

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.