Quadra Track vacuum shifter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Quadra Track vacuum shifter

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
paulbone
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Quadra Track vacuum shifter

Do we have any QT experts in the room?

I just rebuild me engine, put it back in and got it running, but now the Jeep won't drive.

I can hear the big 'clonk' as she goes into R or Low 1. I checked the vacuum lines and found the rubber had split and snapped off by the control mechanism on the transfer case.
I put new hoses on and can feel vacuum, but she won't lock and drive. Two weeks ago when I was driving her, I had no problems.

Could the diaphram have gone all of a sudden?

I have a 76 Chief as a spares car which also has a QT, however I notice that there are only two vacuum lines at the transfer case end, where my 78 has three. The third runs to another vacuum source on the manifold, in addition to the glove box switch vacuum source.

Is this normal does anyone know?

Also has anyone tried and tested a mechanical switch. I don't mind crawling under the car to lock the transfer case - I would much rather that, than be at the mercy of some vacuum pipe and a diaphram in the middle of nowwhere, 100 miles from water!

I have checked, http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/index.htm
but that does not answer all my questions, very good as it is though.

Thank you in anticipation.

paulbone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Of the 3 lines, 1 is a vent for the TC.
If you have a low range unit on the TC it may be in netural.
Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

You should have one small vacuum line coming from the engine to the switch, 2 small vacuum lines from the switch to the tcase. The other line off the tcase should be the vent, as lucdog said, ad much larger than the lines from the switch.

The clunk is normal (not so much good, but normal) and should be tranny engaging tcase.

If qtrac is not moving jeep at all, I would guess what lucdog said, that you have the low-range, and it's in neutral. Down is hi, up is lo. When putting mine into hi, half the time the handle hits the floor, and I think I'm i hi until I try to move, and nothing happens.

There's a cable shift kit available. Also, I think bjs offers a new switch.

Mine works fine after installing new lines.

As far as being stuck, it only uses the vacuum for the switching, not to hold it locked or unlocked. So, you can run vacuum to one of the spots on the tcase, locking it in, and then take it off, drive out, and hook it to the other to unlock.
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #4
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

The vacuum actuator can be tested using one of these

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_bcbe.asp
Just hook a line from the actuator to it and pump up some vacuum. You should then hear the actuator move, then connect the line to the other side and repeat.
The plus by doing it this way is no engine noise.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 06-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
paulbone
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks very much guys for pointing in the right direction.

Turns out I'm a dummy! The TC was indeed in neutral. How the heck did the happen? It's only been sat in the garage while I swaped out the motor.

She now drives in all gears.

You guys really did save my sanity, thank you very much. Paul
paulbone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Cool

B
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.

Tags
quadratrac , transfer case shifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.