Possible new J10 owner..anything to look for? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Possible new J10 owner..anything to look for?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
JUNK726
1974 J-Series Truck 

well guys..i got it! I am now a jeep j10 owner..finally! He took $900, so not too bad a deal. I already tore into cleaning her up (bout 20 years of dog hair, dirt and cigarette butts..the usual
Anyways, here's my question..is there any way to know/tell if the PO already did the ignition upgrade? I will post a pic asap..but i found a box of parts in back..a set of ignition wires, and a cap, the old plugs, a new set of drum brakes...looks like someone tried or was planning tune ups/etc..) i also drained the old BLACK oil out..didn't smell gassy...but black...gonna check/swap all fluids..(taking my time when i get to that quadratrac Then i noticed the CARB...has an "Edelbrock" sticker on it...BUT on the side it is stamped WEBER..?? I have read posts til my eyes bled..and people at work (chevy guys) are telling me Edelbrock carbs/intake combo is junk..i should do the Motorcraft (1.21) carb with stock intake..?? my heads spinning..as i was set on edelbrock performer intake...with edelbrock carb...hmmm...hit me whenever IF u guys have any input..sorry for the long winded post..just figured i would see whatcha all think..my main goal is to get the carb and intake combo situated (with new valley gasket)...and the ignition upgrade...then get her purring i h ope! thanks again guys! looking forward to this build!!

JUNK726 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
JUNK726
1974 J-Series Truck 

in my driveway...finally!

012.jpg  
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Edel intake is a fine upgrade (cheve guys) JK. The Edel I belive do have webber on the side, I just piched one a couple weeks ago so I can't look. Anyway those components are fine, may want to rebuild the carb, if it sat with fuel in it its probably cruddy. Lets see that ignition system
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #19
JUNK726
1974 J-Series Truck 

ok..here goes..sorry for all the huge pics..and amount! This may help on what is actually under my hood/what has been done by PO..also wondering what that switch is hanging under dash? newb confused..sorry! what am i missing on dash?..(PO went nuts on duct tape and zip ties!)
008.jpg   010.jpg   005.jpg   011.jpg   013.jpg  

014.jpg  
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Edelbrock 3731 intake, Edelbrock 1405 carb. Looks like stock ignition. The vacuum switch should be for transfer case. Does that white wire on passenger side have wire nuts on it?
Unread 04-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #21
JUNK726
1974 J-Series Truck 

wow! so i guess i can spend the $300 in other areas now!? Thanks a million! I pulled carb..(if i was patient i would have discovered the BIG Edelbrock logo on the intake BUT anyways..i will rebuild the carb, pull intake and install a new valley gasket...my next step will be to figure out what parts i need to upgrade that ignition! Making the list as we speak, and reading TONS of great info on the forum! Thanks guys! (wasn't sure which white wire you were referring to in pic!?..sorry!....under the hood...coming off of which part?..?)
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #22
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

The white wire running over the back of the passenger valve cover, looks like a wire nut at the base of the carb. There are many options for ignition, time for some research. Revlc is using the setup I would have used if I needed to replace the dizzy. The one you have may work fine, the coil voltage will not be real high. If it is working, move it down the list. Study up on the valley pan, the AMCs can be tricky
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #23
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

I also wouldn't replace the dizzy unless you were performing a cam swap too, so you can install a double roller for longevity and a matched set of timing gears. The wiring that was used for the old coil didn't generate much voltage so I relocated it on the drivers side fender and used an MSD coil. Then I wired it over to the valve cover to the MSD dizzy. If you want to upgrade ignition and not worry about interference with the power steering pump the MSD and Mallory units are nice. I would have gotten the Mallory but they were sold out everywhere so I purchased the MSD instead. It made a difference over the stock set up. Nice smooth pulls from the advance and starts up as soon as I bump the key.

X2 on researching the valley pan job. It has caused many of us headaches. I finally sealed mine up and now I have to tear into it to replace a bad cam
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #24
timgr
1975 CJ6 

The switch? Man oh man, you did not read the QuadraTrac page I posted earlier. If you had, you would have known.

There is a 1974 FSM here. http://oljeep.com/edge_74_tsm.html - I suggest you download your own copy (don't depend on the copy on the 'net) and read it, cover to cover. This has the wiring diagram for your truck. Anything that is factory wiring will be in the diagram - and the add-ons will not be.
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #25
JUNK726
1974 J-Series Truck 

oh! yah..that white wire actually looks like it is some sort of hard line running towards the base of carb..(it was NOT hooked up though...?? not sure yet what it is..my Jeep was running (more like "limping" home when i drove her..almost felt like it was only running on 4cyl! about 3-4 of the plugs wet/black others were tan and dry...thanks guys for the great info and help for a newbie! i am learning and reading as fast as i can..and YES i missed the quadratrac full read...got "sidetracked" once i got under the hood BUT i read it and realized my mistake..just wanted to get pics up..im absorbing all the stuff i can and now here i go to decipher which way to go on the gasket..so seems to be 50/50 on using the valley pan/correctly installing...also i don't think i am going full dizzy/cam yet...? BUT if it is best way to go i just might! (i already saved money on PO installing the edelbrock goodies THANKS AGAIN ALL! awesome forum..
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

You can search for my recent post on how I sealed my valley pan properly.
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #27
JUNK726
1974 J-Series Truck 

Thanks revelc! i will for sure! BUT the more reading i do on the crappy ignition system i have under my hood...i am VERY hesitant to pull intake UNTIL i upgrade the electrical! I see i have the "Halls" style ignition on passenger side fender...does this mean i am screwed? (some posts seem to say so..?...OR does this mean i can just pull it ALL out and go with the Motorcraft ignition upgrade? i remember doing this on my cj7 when i had the 258 in her..(do the Motorcraft distributor, duraspark ign module, new wires, motorcraft TFI coil w/junkyard bracket, cap/base/rotor..etc..MSD 6 series cdi..am i on right track?...am i able to do all this in my '74 also? (sorry ahead of time..i am spending all day reading..just covering bases as i go)...if i am an idiot OR missing anything..hit me guys..i can take the tongue lashings/rolling eyes/yelling!! i just wanna make sure i am not chasing my tail...gotta spend the money in right areas..thanks all!hitting J&W jeep yard this week for some etc's....
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #28
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNK726
Thanks revelc! i will for sure! BUT the more reading i do on the crappy ignition system i have under my hood...i am VERY hesitant to pull intake UNTIL i upgrade the electrical! I see i have the "Halls" style ignition on passenger side fender...does this mean i am screwed? (some posts seem to say so..?...OR does this mean i can just pull it ALL out and go with the Motorcraft ignition upgrade? i remember doing this on my cj7 when i had the 258 in her..(do the Motorcraft distributor, duraspark ign module, new wires, motorcraft TFI coil w/junkyard bracket, cap/base/rotor..etc..MSD 6 series cdi..am i on right track?...am i able to do all this in my '74 also? (sorry ahead of time..i am spending all day reading..just covering bases as i go)...if i am an idiot OR missing anything..hit me guys..i can take the tongue lashings/rolling eyes/yelling!! i just wanna make sure i am not chasing my tail...gotta spend the money in right areas..thanks all!hitting J&W jeep yard this week for some etc's....
I pulled mine all out to do my upgrade and used the ignition box wires to power my coil. I think it would be similar to your CJ setup if you go that route.
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #29
JUNK726
1974 J-Series Truck 

sweet! that is what i was hoping for! Got the list and heading to the store! Here we go! The write up on the valley gasket was VERY helpful..thanks Revelc! IF the ignition upgrade doesn't cure the stumbling (along with carb rebuild/tune...THEN i will go back and replace intake gasket..(after discovering the PO's handy work in areas..i am not gonna take his word on it automatically being an intake "leak"...it still may end up being a leak, since it seems a hard job to get right..BUT ignition upgrade is a MUST if u ask me..thanks again!
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #30
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Your CJ type ignition will work well. Im running the stock duraspark dizzy, tfi coil,msd controller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.