Porblems and No Answers 77 J10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Porblems and No Answers 77 J10

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 09-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
NBD925
1977 J-Series Truck 

Porblems and No Answers 77 J10

Hello All, I have a 1977 Jeep J-10 and our family has owned this Truck for years. It's had certain problems form day one and it is probably the most frustrating vehicle, I or my father has ever worked on. Its loved but sorely hated in the same breath.

Here are the specs:

1977 J-10
258 Engine
Carter BBD 2 Carb
BID Distributor

Problems:

Exhaust Ticking sound when under load (Its Loud). We have done a lot to fix this but nothing has worked. New Manifold, New Remflex Gasktes, New Exhaust Dounut, New Exhaust. What else is there? It is only under load or when accelerated.

Turns off or Quits at almost the same distance or time driving. To restart you (push in clutch and turn key just enough to bump the starter) and it fires right back up on the move. IF you turn the key and hold and fully engage the starter (like a normal start) it will not fire until you release the key. Then it is usually good for the rest of the trip.

Backfires through tailpipe when you shut it off. It happens after you drive at high speed or RPM for a while. We did the timing and rebuilt the carb but it did not help. (One unusual thing is we put a manual choke on and it seems to run better with an ever so slight bit of choke applied). This is weird because it says to me that it is running lean but yet it backfires through the tailpipe when you shut it off.

I really need some advice here. This tuck has been with us forever but these problems have plagued us from day one 27 years ago. We have tried to fix them ever year since and this is my last hair to pull out.

Adam Corts
Missoula, Montana

NBD925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Don't worry, it's not your fault.

Carter bbd is a horrible carburetor. Nothing you can do about it except replace it. A good, common, cheap replacement is the Motorcraft 2100 with 1.09 venturis. Found on many ford 302s.

Prestolite BID ignition is also a horrible ignition system. Bad luck you got both of them on your rig. You can replace it with either an older points ignition (74 and earlier) or the newer duralast system (78-91 on FSJs). Either way, you will have to add a resistor, as the BID runs off of 12v, while the others run off 6v.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.