Opinions needed....78 Wagoneer w/ 401 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Opinions needed....78 Wagoneer w/ 401

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Opinions needed....78 Wagoneer w/ 401

Looking at a FSJ to go with my CJ7....yes, my wife is a SAINT.

I'm in Colorado on R&R now but have been combing CL for about 2 months.

I've learned a LOT daily driving a 79 CJ7...but not quite as familiar with FSJs.

Here's the one I'm most interested in:

http://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/3590223727.html

Thoughts? Opinions?

Cheers,
TrebleHook

1983 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo - 258 MOPAR MPFI/T-5/Dana 300 - 4.10 Dana 44 Rear/Dana 30 Front w/ ARB lockers front/rear - 4" BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks - Ground Pounder Fab Front Shorty and Rear Spare Custom Bumpers - PSC Steering w/ Borgeson Shaft - 33x10.50 BFG KM2 on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III - Work in progress.....
TrebleHook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Rosental1
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

For tat kind of scratch it should be in good shape, as in all runnig descently and no rot and rust.
Rosental1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
timgr
1975 CJ6 

Make sure the engine is actually a 401. Look at the raised letters cast in to the block.

The main issue with these cars is the BW13xx QuadraTrac transfer case. Read the Jubilee Jeeps page http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/index.htm - the main issue for the BW13xx is parts availability. The manufacturer of the OEM chains (Morse) has stopped making the chains and the old stock is gone. If it clunks, you need a chain. If the chain has not been replaced in 107K miles, it needs a chain. This is a major issue for these cars. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=131239

401s are not supposed to be bored more than 40 over. Some 60 over engines will overheat, some won't. If it's been rebuilt, ask to look at the receipts.

Not a bad price if it's as described - and you do not have chain clunk. Replace the wood grain and it would be sharp.
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

paint looked good wood paneling not so much. bought my 78 j10 off ebay while deployed to iraq in 08 and seller held it for me until i got back when i paid him the rest. ask if its been in colorado most of its life and not the rust belt- mine was and no rust and all bolts arent rust welded which is nice
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.