Opinions: '73 Commando - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Opinions: '73 Commando

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Opinions: '73 Commando

I never got a response from my thread in the CJ forum (I had already been asking about a pair of CJ-7's) so I'll come over here and get the expert's opinions. My step-dad and I are looking at picking up a '73 Commando with the 304 V8, 400 Turbo trans and 30/44 axle set. The Jeep seems a little worse for wear but the owner claims the V8 runs strong. He says that the fuel system needs a cleaning and he was going to try to get it cleaned by Saturday when we are supposed to be going to see it. However he has yet to do it so we may not be able to drive it. Owner wants a grand, but we're going to offer $800 if he doesn't have the fuel system purged yet but everything else looks good. The great thing is my step-dad picked up a rear full float 8 lug 60 last week that we can swap into it and find something for the front later. He also has the back half of the cage, which we will weld back in.

So, do you think it's worth it? Not sure how much one in this shape is worth (Doesn't have to be pretty. No title means trail rig anyways).

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/3588823482.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, its a field truck. You have to look at how much your going to change. If your looking for a platform to do a modded trail rig, its probably worth it. I would definitely want to test running gear, motor, trans, t/case.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRollin View Post
Well, its a field truck. You have to look at how much your going to change. If your looking for a platform to do a modded trail rig, its probably worth it. I would definitely want to test running gear, motor, trans, t/case.
Yea, thats pretty much the idea. Keep the driveline sans axles and run it on the trails. With a bill of sale, we could get a salvage title but there isn't really a point. We have plenty of vehicles. The seller saying its the dirty fuel system that causes it not to run seems like a convenient excuse and has me cautious, but $800 isn't to bad. It'd just be cool to have a Commando as a trail rig.

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
PITA88FSJ
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

A buddy of mine has a 73' commando that we are doing a complete frame off restoration. He's going with an all new upgraded powertrain. Great rig if you ask me, not that many of them out there anymore. With this one I'd listen to RockRollin and check out everything. Not really worth $800 if you gotta spend $3000 to get it running good. How much time and money are you and your step-dad willing to put into her?

Best of luck!
PITA88FSJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITA88FSJ View Post
A buddy of mine has a 73' commando that we are doing a complete frame off restoration. He's going with an all new upgraded powertrain. Great rig if you ask me, not that many of them out there anymore. With this one I'd listen to RockRollin and check out everything. Not really worth $800 if you gotta spend $3000 to get it running good. How much time and money are you and your step-dad willing to put into her?

Best of luck!
Not much of either hopefully. Both wranglers are undergoing axle swaps so not much spare time or money. But it would be nice to have a spare trail rig when mine is sitting on jack stands.

Quote:
Unread 02-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

There is a great old school engine builder in S.W Charlotte if you end up needing one
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The deed is done. The 308 ran with gas in the carb so we suspect a bad fuel pump, as it couldn't pump fuel out of a bucket when tested. The rig has a Toyota rear axle that will be swapped out, hopefully with the 60 unless that puts us in a class we can't compete in at the mud bog.

Quote:
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Keep us posted
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRollin View Post

Keep us posted
I'll try. Been busy today cutting off part of the housing off of a Waggy 44.

Quote:
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
PITA88FSJ
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Congrats!
PITA88FSJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITA88FSJ View Post
Congrats!
Thanks! And even better news, I've been told the fuel pump was the issue and it's now running!

Quote:
Unread 02-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

The 304 is a solid motor. Cam it ,replace timing chain and gears, rebuild oil pump. I don't recall what year AMC retarded the cam, but make sure it is zeroed, a Edelbrock gear set will let you zero or advance the cam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.