Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

one problem after another

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  jeepdj5 
#1 ·
i have an 87 grand wagoneer.
ive slowly been fixing it and everything, finally got the truck running good, fixed my leaks and put a new trans in it. well one thing, i have an odd electrical problem, my battery is always draining. for now i usually just unhook the negative on the battery and let it sit when i dont drive it.
well recently it seems like its not getting fuel to the engine or something.

it all started friday, drove it around town not to far from my house, made a quick stop, let the jeep run for about 5-7 minutes in park, when i went to leave, my wagon shut off than wouldnt turn back on, than it was acting as if my battery died.
so i let it sit at my friends and took my battery home and put it on the battery charger, well one thing i noticed, my battery had what it looked like melted metal that had dripped on the side, and when i hooked my battery up it was reading 12 volts and saying 85% charged.

skip to yesterday. i take my battery to my wagon, when i opened my hood i inspected my battery terminals, the wires going to my positive were all black and barely hanging on, so i thought maybe that was what melted onto my battery, so i cut the wire and put it back on, but than i noticed that my actual terminal itself melted. so i replaced that and put it in.
the wagon fired right up like it was nothing.

so i drive it home, which was about 2-3 miles away form where i was. when i got home i let it sit and run for a minute, than i was gonna drive it down the road and back to see if it was running weird or not. well it just shut off on me. after this it would not turn over for the life of me, so i sprayed a small amount of started fluid in the carb, and it fired right up, ran for a second and as soon as i put it in gear and hit the gas it shut off. than i tried to start it again, and boom nothing.
i let the wagon sit for a few hours, come home start it and boom fires right up, so i go to drive it to the wend of my road and back and it just kept shutting off after i would give it so much gas, so i got it back home and parked it. now i cant get it to start again. it honestly feels like its not getting gas to it. but im not sure. so i was wondering if anyone can give an idea what it may be and lead me on the path to fixing it.
im pretty close to selling this because i keep dumping money into it. but i dont wanna give up i feel like im so close haha. these are just hard to find parts for when it random stuff that breaks. so if anyone can help me that would be great

See less See more
#3 ·
Maybe clean the connector on your neutral safety switch. I have had trouble with my amp gauge so I removed it and a lot of my problems went away.

#4 ·
When you say you try and start it again and boom nothing, is it turning over and not starting, or not turning over? I've read this a few times and I'm having a hard time sorting it out. So lets focus on the battery.
If you connect the battery, are you getting a spark when the terminal touches?

#7 ·
im not sparking at all when i hook up my battery, im not sure but there is something draining my battery and something going on with my electrical system. but thats not what is causing my engine to die.
basically what happens is it will turn over, but it wont start, it just sits and spins and spins but it wont actaully start up.
now it will start after it has been sitting for about a day, it starts up, than i can drive it for give or take 2 miles, than it starts puttering, than the engine will die and wont start. im not sure but i dont think its getting gas to the engine

#11 ·
Sorry to hear that Bud. I totally understand the unforeseen getting the better of us.
On the other hand, seems like more times than not its the time that these rigs require more than the money, but anyway. I wish you well for the future, and if you've been truly bitten, you'll be back:thumbsup:

#12 ·
RockRollin said:
Sorry to hear that Bud. I totally understand the unforeseen getting the better of us.
On the other hand, seems like more times than not its the time that these rigs require more than the money, but anyway. I wish you well for the future, and if you've been truly bitten, you'll be back:thumbsup:
Usually our biggest headaches are simple fixes too.

#13 ·
My dad always says the best way to find a draw is to get a automotive meter and put it to the amp draw setting where you run the power through the meter, see how many amps are drawing with key off, start pulling fuses till the draw goes away!

if only gas was cheaper :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.