one problem after another - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > one problem after another

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
ayycharlay92
2001 WJ 

one problem after another

i have an 87 grand wagoneer.
ive slowly been fixing it and everything, finally got the truck running good, fixed my leaks and put a new trans in it. well one thing, i have an odd electrical problem, my battery is always draining. for now i usually just unhook the negative on the battery and let it sit when i dont drive it.
well recently it seems like its not getting fuel to the engine or something.

it all started friday, drove it around town not to far from my house, made a quick stop, let the jeep run for about 5-7 minutes in park, when i went to leave, my wagon shut off than wouldnt turn back on, than it was acting as if my battery died.
so i let it sit at my friends and took my battery home and put it on the battery charger, well one thing i noticed, my battery had what it looked like melted metal that had dripped on the side, and when i hooked my battery up it was reading 12 volts and saying 85% charged.

skip to yesterday. i take my battery to my wagon, when i opened my hood i inspected my battery terminals, the wires going to my positive were all black and barely hanging on, so i thought maybe that was what melted onto my battery, so i cut the wire and put it back on, but than i noticed that my actual terminal itself melted. so i replaced that and put it in.
the wagon fired right up like it was nothing.

so i drive it home, which was about 2-3 miles away form where i was. when i got home i let it sit and run for a minute, than i was gonna drive it down the road and back to see if it was running weird or not. well it just shut off on me. after this it would not turn over for the life of me, so i sprayed a small amount of started fluid in the carb, and it fired right up, ran for a second and as soon as i put it in gear and hit the gas it shut off. than i tried to start it again, and boom nothing.
i let the wagon sit for a few hours, come home start it and boom fires right up, so i go to drive it to the wend of my road and back and it just kept shutting off after i would give it so much gas, so i got it back home and parked it. now i cant get it to start again. it honestly feels like its not getting gas to it. but im not sure. so i was wondering if anyone can give an idea what it may be and lead me on the path to fixing it.
im pretty close to selling this because i keep dumping money into it. but i dont wanna give up i feel like im so close haha. these are just hard to find parts for when it random stuff that breaks. so if anyone can help me that would be great

ayycharlay92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
ayycharlay92
2001 WJ 

No one ?
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Maybe clean the connector on your neutral safety switch. I have had trouble with my amp gauge so I removed it and a lot of my problems went away.
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

When you say you try and start it again and boom nothing, is it turning over and not starting, or not turning over? I've read this a few times and I'm having a hard time sorting it out. So lets focus on the battery.
If you connect the battery, are you getting a spark when the terminal touches?
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
rabbott1
1985 J-Series Truck 

Fuel filter?
rabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
rabbott1
1985 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbott1 View Post
Fuel filter?
Sounds like your getting some debris clogging your filter. Thats why after it set awhile it started back up. Then clogged while running. Just a guess, but like my grandpappy said "son start with the cheap stuff first" he was right most of the time.
rabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
ayycharlay92
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRollin View Post
When you say you try and start it again and boom nothing, is it turning over and not starting, or not turning over? I've read this a few times and I'm having a hard time sorting it out. So lets focus on the battery.
If you connect the battery, are you getting a spark when the terminal touches?
im not sparking at all when i hook up my battery, im not sure but there is something draining my battery and something going on with my electrical system. but thats not what is causing my engine to die.
basically what happens is it will turn over, but it wont start, it just sits and spins and spins but it wont actaully start up.
now it will start after it has been sitting for about a day, it starts up, than i can drive it for give or take 2 miles, than it starts puttering, than the engine will die and wont start. im not sure but i dont think its getting gas to the engine
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbott1 View Post
Sounds like your getting some debris clogging your filter. Thats why after it set awhile it started back up. Then clogged while running. Just a guess, but like my grandpappy said "son start with the cheap stuff first" he was right most of the time.
I think rabbott1 has it pegged on that one.
New filter, correct return orientation, flow check the pump, and see what ya got.
Onward to the battery. Disconnect it for the same duration of time it usually takes for it to drain down, maybe a little longer. Hook it up and see if it turn over good. If its fine, then start pulling one fuse at a time to narrow down what circuit is draining it.
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayycharlay92 View Post
No one ?
???
Giving up ayycharlay92?
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
ayycharlay92
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRollin

???
Giving up ayycharlay92?
I just don't have the money that I can keep putting into it. I've lost a lot of money over the past few months
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayycharlay92 View Post
I just don't have the money that I can keep putting into it. I've lost a lot of money over the past few months
Sorry to hear that Bud. I totally understand the unforeseen getting the better of us.
On the other hand, seems like more times than not its the time that these rigs require more than the money, but anyway. I wish you well for the future, and if you've been truly bitten, you'll be back
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRollin

Sorry to hear that Bud. I totally understand the unforeseen getting the better of us.
On the other hand, seems like more times than not its the time that these rigs require more than the money, but anyway. I wish you well for the future, and if you've been truly bitten, you'll be back
Usually our biggest headaches are simple fixes too.
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

My dad always says the best way to find a draw is to get a automotive meter and put it to the amp draw setting where you run the power through the meter, see how many amps are drawing with key off, start pulling fuses till the draw goes away!

if only gas was cheaper
jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
amc 360 , grand wagoneer , jeep , waggy , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.