Oil Leak Pic - Can you guess where it is coming from Plus what is this on the window? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Oil Leak Pic - Can you guess where it is coming from Plus what is this on the window?

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Oil Leak Pic - Can you guess where it is coming from Plus what is this on the window?

I have attached four pics - first two of my constant oil drip - assume it's the lowest point on the jeep but can anyone give me an idea of where it may be coming from? If you look close you can see a drip in the middle forming.

The next two pictures are from the back window on passanger side. Does anyone know what this is or used for? Old CB? Temp Gauge? Ect.

Thanks,

jeep-oil.jpg   jeep-oil-2.jpg   jeeppart1.jpg   jeeppart2.jpg  
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
realmccoy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like its the rear seal.
The thing on thr back window looks like very old cell phone antenna base .
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Check the rear seal and also the intake if its dripping down.
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Has anyone replaced the rear seal?
Is it something I could do being new to vehicles?
Do I need to lift the jeep or can I do it with the clearance?
If I take it somewhere what do you think someone should charge for that?
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

To replace it you need to either pull the engine or the tranny. A lift with a tranny jack would be much more convenient. Then run two self tapping screws in and pull on them until it comes out. Then grease the new one and knock it in with the flat side of a block of wood so it goes in evenly.
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
CSP

The rear main can be replaced without pulling the engine or the trans. Just the pan has to come off and the main bearing caps loosened.

It's not a job for someone with little to no auto repair experience, however.

There's no guarantee that's where the leak is coming from either. It could be as simple as a valve cover gasket leak.

x2 on that item on the back window being a cell phone antenna base. Double stick tape holds them on.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
rabbott1
1985 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The rear main can be replaced without pulling the engine or the trans. Just the pan has to come off and the main bearing caps loosened.

It's not a job for someone with little to no auto repair experience, however.

There's no guarantee that's where the leak is coming from either. It could be as simple as a valve cover gasket leak.

x2 on that item on the back window being a cell phone antenna base. Double stick tape holds them on.
I agree had the rear main seal changed in my 360 you have to go in through the oil pan. Guy charged me around $160 or so to change it, and I still have a leak from somewhere. If you're not losing massive amounts of oil, I wouldn't bother with it. You can spend a whole lot of money and half your life chasing down a small oil leak. Oh and thats definitely some sort of antenna mount.
rabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.