Oil blow-by? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Oil blow-by?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
rabbott1
1985 J-Series Truck 

Oil blow-by?

Need to get my amc 360 up and running, not sure what needs to be done. I have oil blowing out of one of my exhaust ports. Is this the piston rings? Could it be just the valves? Any insight you guys can give would be great. New to this rebuild thing and don't want to get taken to the cleaners by some mechanic that don't care about my baby. Thanks again!

rabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

define exhaust port? Meaning you pulled the manifolds and ran it and oil is spewing out one cylinder?
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Exhaust valve seals is my bet

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
rabbott1
1985 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by super98lsc View Post
define exhaust port? Meaning you pulled the manifolds and ran it and oil is spewing out one cylinder?
Yeah I pulled the header off one side and have oil blowing out #2 cylinder.
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbott1

Yeah I pulled the header off one side and have oil blowing out #2 cylinder.
Pull the head dude. Or put some compressed air at around 80-90 PSI with a fitting in the spark plug hole. If it blows from valve with the valve cover off you can replace the seal without pulling the head by keeping pressure on it. If it blows oil and air from the fill tube it's blow by.
Cheers.
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

What he said ;-) . Does that cylinder have compression? Sounds like rings,piston,bore are bad off. Was motor fine then started doing this all of a sudden or was it sitting a long time and just now fired up after years? Ive seen some worn guides and bad valve seals but none.that literally caused oil to puke out the port..... Anytime I have seen that its been piston damage.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Pull the head dude. Or put some compressed air at around 80-90 PSI with a fitting in the spark plug hole. If it blows from valve with the valve cover off you can replace the seal without pulling the head by keeping pressure on it. If it blows oil and air from the fill tube it's blow by.
Cheers.

To go along with what revelc said......

when doing this compressed air test, make sure the cylinder being tested is at TDC of the compression stroke (you want both valves to be closed).
Then, you can determine what is leaking simply by using your ears.
If you can hear air coming out of the carb, it's a bad/leaking intake valve.
If you can hear air coming out of the exhaust (or side of head, sinse you removed the header), it's a bad/leaking exhaust valve.
If you can hear air coming out of the oil fill tube, it's worn rings/scratched cylinder bore.

If you do not hear any air leaking out, chances are good that it's the valve guides/seals, and as mentioned, those can be changed by just removing the valve cover.
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

How is one to go about changing guides with just removing the valve cover?
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRollin
How is one to go about changing guides with just removing the valve cover?
On some engines you can remove the rockers for that cylinder, pressurize the cylinder with air, take the valve locks off and remove spring, then r&r the seal. Much much easier said than done. But can be more time efficient than removing the whole thing.
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #10
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
On some engines you can remove the rockers for that cylinder, pressurize the cylinder with air, take the valve locks off and remove spring, then r&r the seal. Much much easier said than done. But can be more time efficient than removing the whole thing.
I have done seals, springs with head on, but guides. How would you work the guides with the valve in.
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:35 AM   #11
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:

I have done seals, springs with head on, but guides. How would you work the guides with the valve in.
I was just talking about a seal, no clue on guides. I don't know it all.
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:08 AM   #12
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
I was just talking about a seal, no clue on guides. I don't know it all.
I was hoping for a short-cut. I have a weak guide, and I've been draggin my feet on replacing the heads
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #13
rabbott1
1985 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by super98lsc View Post
What he said ;-) . Does that cylinder have compression? Sounds like rings,piston,bore are bad off. Was motor fine then started doing this all of a sudden or was it sitting a long time and just now fired up after years? Ive seen some worn guides and bad valve seals but none.that literally caused oil to puke out the port..... Anytime I have seen that its been piston damage.
Going to do compression tests this weekend. I had bought this motor used to replace the blown motor that was originally in the truck. Guy told me there were only 68'000 miles on the motor. Hard telling how long it sat before I bought it. Put it in the truck, and after driving it a couple times it started smoking out of one tailpipe. Going to try replacing the valve seals this weekend, if that doesn't work guess I'll pull the heads and check rings. Fingers crossed, and any little Jeep prayer you could throw my way wouldn't hurt!
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:

I was hoping for a short-cut. I have a weak guide, and I've been draggin my feet on replacing the heads
I'm sorry man. I am still learning everyday. But replacing a guide with the head on.... I don't know if its possible. It would certainly be worth googling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbott1

Going to do compression tests this weekend. I had bought this motor used to replace the blown motor that was originally in the truck. Guy told me there were only 68'000 miles on the motor. Hard telling how long it sat before I bought it. Put it in the truck, and after driving it a couple times it started smoking out of one tailpipe. Going to try replacing the valve seals this weekend, if that doesn't work guess I'll pull the heads and check rings. Fingers crossed, and any little Jeep prayer you could throw my way wouldn't hurt!
This may sound funny, but when engines set a long time they seem like prime real-estate for wasps and dirt dobbers. They will find a way into a cylinder or a head and set up shop. This could have been the case with yours if you never rotated the engine and inspected each cylinder before installing it. That could be why it ran a little while before it began to smoke and puke oil. Sand and debris were probably hanging out and after a while shot the rings and scored the wall. My Hot Rod guru relative has tons of engine laying around and no matter the miles he tears each one down before dropping it in for that reason. He's lost too many engines that way. I wouldn't run it much and I'd definitely change the oil to check for dirt, debris, and metal when you do. Clean your oil catch pan out really well and throw a magnet in it so you can see if you find any sparkles.

Just my wild guess of the day. Best of luck man.
And yes. I'll pray for the Jeep and for you to have grace for it if laying hands on it doesn't make a Lazarus.
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Just get both heads redone

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.