offroad front bumper attachment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > offroad front bumper attachment

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring Harness

Unread 10-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
89shaggoneer

offroad front bumper attachment

Curious as to how you guys attached an offroad bumper, I used the pre-existing 3 holes that the stock bumper was attached to the frame by to attach my bumper with grade 8 bolts. Im thinking about getting a winch and was wondering if this attachment point will be strong enough to hold? what are your guy's experience? do I need to tear my bumper down and extend my brackets further down the frame or should the existing holes be good?

89shaggoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

look here,
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=121583&page=3
about 3/4 down the page there is a picture of some "beef sticks". This is a very popular design for heavy duty bumper mounting. If you look a little farther back on your frame, there should be another two holes that are already threaded the same as the front 3 bumper bolts (I think it's 1/2 x 13 or something close). In that pic in the thread, the holes for these bolts are at the far right. The larger holes that are more centered, are there to allow access to the steering box bolts.

Also, a little closer to the bottom of the page, there is a pic with the "sticks" installed, and the winch mount started.
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
CSP

What makes a bumper an "offroad" bumper?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
89shaggoneer

I can push trees out of the way with it and pull semis out of ditches
Unread 10-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
89shaggoneer

And thank you muddy I'm going to use that design
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
CSP

Again, what about the design is unique that you're calling it "offroad".

There are lots of bumpers out there that can push trees out of the way and pull semis out of ditches. Every single one of them may have a different mounting method and design, so lumping them all in the same basket isn't doing much to get you an educated answer.
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
89shaggoneer

Lol. Are you for real ^
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
89shaggoneer

It provides maximum ground clearance, two d ring tow points and corner protection, I think muddy provided good information on how to mount the bumper correctly. I seeyour from Colorado ..... that explains it
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
CSP

Right. You're the one asking vague questions about something you could find on your own, but I'm the one being questioned if I'm for real....

And because I'm from Colorado I must be a left wing, liberal nut job right? If you had a clue you wouldn't assume anything based on location. At least our idea of offroading isn't pushing trees down and pulling semis out of the ditch.
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok boys, lets not get our panties in a bunch.

yes, the original question about "off road" bumpers was a little vague, and CSP made a good point about being a little more specific with your questions.
There are many types and designs of "off road" bumpers. For example, someone that does a lot of high speed stuff in the desert is not going to have the same design of bumper as someone who wheels mostly on wooded trails.

If you wanted, you could take a piece of 6" drain pipe, and weld it to the frame, and call it an "off road bumper".
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I saw 'off road' and basically assumed the standard trail rig kinda of stuff but I am from Arizona, the winch comment was a clue too.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.