not getting fuel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > not getting fuel

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-09-2002, 05:10 PM   #1
demtjcj

not getting fuel

i have a 77 cherokee i got from my grandfather. it had been sitting for about 13 years. so he gave it to me. it was running when he stopped driving it. so i got it out and got it running. then one day it would fire up. it was turning over but not firing. so i changed the spark plugs. changed the fuel pump and fuel filter. blew the fuel lines out . when i went to start it it still wont. somebody said that the cams might be bad. it says when you are installing it to have it in low cam. so i did and it still didnt pump. the pump is good because i checked it. does anybody know if the cams go bad.

demtjcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2002, 11:13 PM   #2
CSP

No, cams just don't get bad from sitting. A cam is a solid chunk of steel. They do eventually wear out, but don't work one day and suddenly go bad the next. Take the fuel line going into the carburetor off and crank the engine with the coil wire disconnected. You will want to see fuel coming out of this line. If it's not you either have a bad fuel pump or something is blocking the line. Make sure it's not bad gas also. You'll know if it's bad by the smell. It will stink to high hell.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 06:46 AM   #3
t bailey

not getting fuel

I just had the same issue with a 78 wagoneer, did all the things you did replaced fuel lines and had to treat and reline the fuel tank it was full of rust, also had to replace the fuel pick up and float, after all this it still wouldn't start. I replaced the fuel pump again and check all the lines for blockage. I finally replaced the mechanical fuel pump with an electronic one. While making some final adjustments I realized the choke on the carburater was stuck closed once it was loose an the new pump hooked up it fired right up. I also rebuilt the carb, mine had been sitting for ten years. carb was really gunked up and had some minor rust. If you havn't checked it I would, some of that stuff can move around even if it has run recently and block passage ways. Good luck. It was very frustrating.
t bailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.